The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby Kisiel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 pm

ratatouille. wrote:
    hey everyone!
    i'm thinking about getting two rats, but the problem is, I don't know what gender. I've had a female in the past before, and she was fun, but i've been doing research on males. I've read on how they can be territorial and aggressive towards each other if they aren't neutered, but i was wondering if anyone knew the average cost for getting a male neutered? Is it worth it?
    I've also read on how they mark everywhere if you let them out of their cages, so is that true? >> pee doesn't bother me, but if they do it all the time, i think my family will have a problem. (and i eventually will too.)

i'll probably stick with females, but i'm kinda hoping someone will change my mind. thanks!

Male rats go through a hormonal phase at about 6-8 months old, however most will simply squabble a bit between each other as a new pecking order is established - a new alpha may emerge at this age. Most male rats, assuming you get them from a reputable breeder, aren't bred until about 9 months old to see how they cope with the hormone surge. Personally I wouldn't bother with neutering unless they do become hormonally aggressive, which is unlikely if you get them from a good breeder.

Both does and bucks may mark, it's nothing you can prevent them doing. I have one doe who is terrible for it, but she only marks me and my phone. She's a real sweetheart though.
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 am

Kisiel wrote:
ratatouille. wrote:
    hey everyone!
    i'm thinking about getting two rats, but the problem is, I don't know what gender. I've had a female in the past before, and she was fun, but i've been doing research on males. I've read on how they can be territorial and aggressive towards each other if they aren't neutered, but i was wondering if anyone knew the average cost for getting a male neutered? Is it worth it?
    I've also read on how they mark everywhere if you let them out of their cages, so is that true? >> pee doesn't bother me, but if they do it all the time, i think my family will have a problem. (and i eventually will too.)

i'll probably stick with females, but i'm kinda hoping someone will change my mind. thanks!

Male rats go through a hormonal phase at about 6-8 months old, however most will simply squabble a bit between each other as a new pecking order is established - a new alpha may emerge at this age. Most male rats, assuming you get them from a reputable breeder, aren't bred until about 9 months old to see how they cope with the hormone surge. Personally I wouldn't bother with neutering unless they do become hormonally aggressive, which is unlikely if you get them from a good breeder.

Both does and bucks may mark, it's nothing you can prevent them doing. I have one doe who is terrible for it, but she only marks me and my phone. She's a real sweetheart though.

Baby boy rats are the stinkiest little babies xD They begin to mature out around 6 months and are no longer as stinky, but they will always scent mark and tend to scent mark on each other. I love my boys and might stick with boys the next time around as well.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heathersmoo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:11 am

I posted a bit ago about needing help choosing a baby rat to join my two teenage boys.

It looks like Cipher won the poll by a squeak! He is the cutest and I'm so happy to have him.

Grunkle went to a nice couple so he will be well loved too! Thanks to all that helped with this choice.

Sadly one of my rats isn't taking to little Cipher. I tried bathtub intros as well as using homemade vanilla extract to mask scent. I hope I can sort out the drama because it is so stressful and I just want all my little buddies to be happy!
I COLLECT KEYCHAINS! Шлите мне брелки!

heathersmoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:00 am

ratatouille. wrote:
    hey everyone!

i think they are relatively similar. boys are slightly stinkier (mostly solved with increased cleaning) if they are aggressive they are aggressive, it won't be fixed with neutering. (altering is not worth it, it can range anywhere from $60 to over $200 in some places. they are too short lived) i think they do mark but it depends on the individual.
..Image - fr lair - afrma - th
    | nick
    |he/him

| i breed health tested american bullies irl :^)
    | guest artist for SWEs
rat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 am

My boys switch between hating each other, And then liking each other again. Eh, I don't think I'd ever neuter though it's expensive where I'm at, Plus they are so widdle and short-lived doesn't seem very necessary.

Anyways,, Sideways picture of a ratto??

I don't know why all my images are sideways, But Ehh Hereee.

(ALSo, Whats that thing On his eh lower area? It goes away and comes
back but it kinda scares meee)

cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 am

@Harlow

His sheath looks swollen because it's plugged. This happens to boys often. Pull back the skin and clean it out with warm water, coconut oil, and cue tips.

Also that's a handsome agouti <3 looks like my boy Moose!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Miyu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:30 am

Here are my two babies, I love them so much, they mean everything to me! ❤
Please have a look at my UFT list. Lots of older pets UFT!
Looking for guinea pigs, pugs and wishlist pets!
Interested in litter swaps too! ♡
Miyu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stag » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:14 am

just got a new hamster named Pumpkin!
me and my friend went to adopt her a few days ago. due to our shelter not having any hamsters, we got her from petsmart.
we noticed she was huge- alot larger than any other hamster. overweight, even.
it was pure luck finding her, as a snake owner was looking at her as well, mumuring about how she'd be good food. she was on sale for merely 10 dollars, and we knew where she would head had we not got her.
another reason of luck, was this poor girl was isolated. and by her behavior, obviously abused. she has a perfect nick in her ear, which me and my friend thought may have been a tag at one point. she was also VERY reluctant to human hands, or treats at first. she even went to extremes to hiss and jump at the sight of any human.
now a few days later, she fell asleep in my hands for the first time and hasnt hissed or jumped since. shes slowly but surely sniffing around and taking treats, opening up.
im very glad we found her, she needed the love and affection we could provide.
needless to say, im very proud of how far shes come in just these 3 new days.

xxxx S T A Gx/ L U X

xxrat and bone lover •ᴗ• he/they, nblw
xxcs rat collection complete 12.26.22 ♡
xxImage Image Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx

xxx3.9.21 ♡ | pixel | vermin#7777 | ©
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx
stag

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby synastry » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:22 am

Hihi! So, I've had my absolute babe since September of last year. Haven't had too much progress taming-wise, that always seems to be the area I do terribly in. He's ok taking treats from my hands, but anytime I set the food on my palm, he sniffs, takes it, sniffs again, then bites me. He's drawn blood every time he bites, and honestly I've slowly started to just give up. I really want a hamster that I can have sit with me on the couch without fear of getting bitten or losing him.

Bear is a Syrian male, and he was roughly 6-8 weeks old when I got him from the rescue area at Pets at Home. Any tips for taming/getting him to stop biting?
synastry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cswolf. » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:20 am

All of these pictures of your rodents are so adorable <3
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups