Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

How Much Do You Love Rats?

I LOVE THEM TO ALL THE GALAXIES AND BACK!
50%
I ADORE THEM!
14%
I love them.
6%
I think they are cute. (Never owned one so I don't know the greatness of them)
30%

Total votes : 545

Re: Calling All Rat Lovers/Owners!

Postby rayisokay » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:03 pm

All your babies sound adorable!

From summer 2009 to winter 2013 I had 10 rats, both boys and girls (not at the same time). Their names were Whisper, Cookie, Fizz, Ella, Lulu, Rue, Lacy, Pepper, Doodle, and Taz. I'm so sad that I lost most of my photos of them, except for a few that are posted at [url]rattiewhiskers.tumblr.com/tagged/my-rats[/url].

But hopefully, once I get a job and raise the money for a new cage, I plan on getting two little girls from a breeder nearby. She plans on having two litters available around Labor Day so yay! Apparently both litters are being bred by down under parents, and she expects mostly black and blue markings :D I've never had a blue baby, so I'm super excited to meet them!
rayisokay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rayisokay » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Also, I wanted to get mine from a rescue that I got Taz from, and even got to stop by today! They had a bunch of boys and only two girls, but according to the staff, most of them bite cause they came from a hoarder :cry:
But I did get to hold one of their friendlier boys! He was pretty fat, and an adorable Berkshire dumbo that I think was named Albert. I just about died of the cuteness when he started bruxing and then grooming in my hands :) But maybe I was being over emotional from not holding rats for almost 3 years.
rayisokay

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkvoodoo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:05 pm

3.jpg
3.jpg (184.72 KiB) Viewed 106 times
darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vein » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:14 pm

I've posted here before, but I'd like to post some of my ratties if that's cool.
Moose is my dude, he's a rex and the sweetest lil baby.
Aslan's been mine for a little over a year now, he loves to stare at you until you give him love.
Meatball is the newest baby, he's a double rex and has a mohawk on his back.
Titan is my old guy, he's about 2.5 years old and my heart rat.
I've honestly never loved something more than I love my rats.

lee | they |
some sort of creature
i like rats & jellycat plushes
looking for c$ & 2014 egypt starry calf
-
vein

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby plot » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:07 pm

Anyone have experience with cats and rats?
I brought home two babies, I have yet to get a good picture of either and my cat is either scared or predatory? Every time she comes into my room, she stares at the cage and runs off after when I begin to move.

However I have two unnamed girls right now, who are fairly sweet. They are about six weeks old, and they chatter when I come up to their cage. They like to hide in my hair and explore. The black and white is trouble. She enjoys trying to escape, and jumping from side to side on her cage.
The grey one likes to relax. She's the one I trust more with people. She's shy but she gives the most kisses and cuddles. She's smaller than her sister but boy does she try to beat up on her!

But yes. Any tips on dealing with pet rats and cats in the same home?
CS Trade Thread | FR Trade Thread
Introvert | Adult | Fish Biologist | Rat Collector | Pokemon Trainer
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

plot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angelus Gaston » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:32 pm

plot wrote:Anyone have experience with cats and rats?
I brought home two babies, I have yet to get a good picture of either and my cat is either scared or predatory? Every time she comes into my room, she stares at the cage and runs off after when I begin to move.

However I have two unnamed girls right now, who are fairly sweet. They are about six weeks old, and they chatter when I come up to their cage. They like to hide in my hair and explore. The black and white is trouble. She enjoys trying to escape, and jumping from side to side on her cage.
The grey one likes to relax. She's the one I trust more with people. She's shy but she gives the most kisses and cuddles. She's smaller than her sister but boy does she try to beat up on her!

But yes. Any tips on dealing with pet rats and cats in the same home?

I would keep the cat away from the rats as anything can happen and its not worth the risk of anyone getting hurt. I've had a cat bitten through the cage bars by a rat and its not nice. So yea your better of keeping them separate by keeping your bed room door shut.

CharsArt WantedTradescredit
╔══════════════════════╗
We would do something
Sarcastic and witty with this but
We cant be bothered. We go by
Angelus One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh lover

╚══════════════════════╝
Angelus Gaston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Hello everyone! I'm just here to ask a few questions. c:
I'm planning on getting two rats in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone could give me tips/answer these questions:
1. Can I keep my rats in a 50 gallon glass terrarium?
2. What size wheel do I need/do they absolutely need a wheel?
3. Is recycled newspaper suitable bedding material? What about cedar bedding?
4. What foods should I stay away from? (Note: I'm currently getting food stamps, so I was planning on buying fresh fruits and greens for them as their staple diet, with other things to supplement whenever I get art commissions)
5. Is it okay to house two rats together as long as they're the same gender?
6. What's the youngest rat I can get? (Note: I want to get a younger pair so that I can train them and make sure they're even tempered.)
7. Can rats be potty trained, as in trained to use a litterbox?

If I think of any other questions I'll post them. c:

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadyBro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:46 pm

Angel Rose wrote:Hello everyone! I'm just here to ask a few questions. c:
I'm planning on getting two rats in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone could give me tips/answer these questions:
4. What foods should I stay away from? (Note: I'm currently getting food stamps, so I was planning on buying fresh fruits and greens for them as their staple diet, with other things to supplement whenever I get art commissions)
6. What's the youngest rat I can get? (Note: I want to get a younger pair so that I can train them and make sure they're even tempered.)

1. 50 gallons is my minimum requirement when people adopt from us and want to house them in solid tanks (I much prefer normal cages but I have seen some wicked tank setups so thats fine sometimes). Just watch out for respiratory infections, as the air flow isnt as good in tanks.
Good Examples: X - X - X
Way Better Cage Examples: X - X - X - X - X - X - X

2. They dont need a wheel, and honestly many rats dont even use them. However some rats absolutely love wheels, and therefore require one like this or this. Its up to you, but personally I have several in every single cage - the rats that do like them, really like them.

3. My choice bedding is always Yesterdays News. Super low dust, controls odor very well, and its pretty easy to keep clean. I also add in a handful of hay from my rabbit bins as a little something extra to play/nest in, as well as the normal fleece fabric. Never use high dust bedding like cedar (which people have been learning is actually really bad for almost all animals, I dont know why its sold anywhere anymore) as it can cause those dreaded respiratory infections.

4. There are a lot of feed lists online for rats, but so far this is the best one Ive found. I cant say everything is totally right, but its definitely one of the better ones out there. It might be a good idea, if you feed your rats scraps and table food as treats like I do, to keep this list pinned near the cage somewhere for quick access.

5. You absolutely MUST have at least two rats! They cannot be housed alone unless they are truly loner type rats, which out of the hundreds Ive rescued over the years, only three have had to be housed alone. Personally I believe rats do better in groups larger than two, 3-4 being my suggestion for first time owners, and anywhere from 5 to 15 for experienced owners (I currently have 13 gals in my own personal pet cage, and would happily add more lol). This is helpful when they get old, as even when one passes away it wont be a huge deal introducing more to the cage, and your other rats wont be by their lonesome during the introduction process. Its also much more fun for the rats to have a large bout of social activity. On the downside, its harder to spot illness or off behaviors with a large group, and of course its harder to clean, but thats why its only suggested for experienced owners. Regardless - yes, two is the MINIMUM.

6. Technically rats can mostly wean as early as four weeks, and be supplemented with KMR or other easy to eat foods, but thats kinda taboo. The acceptable age is six weeks, when they are fully weaned and ready to leave their mum. Granted I wouldn't go turning your nose up to older rats either - those old farts make just as great of pets <3

7. Yes, rats can be potty trained. I use ground corn cob litter in small corner litter pans and my gals use them just fine. Some of the younger ones arent quite as willing, but in general they will learn from the elders over time. Granted if you got the rats spayed/neutered, it will be 100% easier to do this, especially with males as Ive had little luck with them most of the time. As for teaching them to do so, I turn again to an article by the Rat Whisperer, here. It should help get you started on how to go about making yours and your rats life a little easier (and cleaner!)
┏━━━━━━━━━┓ 
─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──

ImageImageImage
✰Toyhouse✰
✰Closed Species✰
✰Trotters✰

ImageImageImage

─── ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ──
┗━━━━━━━━━┛

─- ⋆⋅⋅⋆ ─- ♡ - - ♡ -─ ⋆⋅⋅⋆ -─
ShadyBro

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby darkvoodoo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Angel Rose wrote:Hello everyone! I'm just here to ask a few questions. c:
*As a breeder, I wouldn sell to any one who hoses full time in a tank.

* Most don't use wheels, but if you get one, get a 21 inch wheel.

*Cedar is a no-no. I use aspen and fleece.

*In general rats can eat what we eat. Lab blocks are a good base.

*yes. Rats are highly social and do best in same sex pairs.

*I let mine leave at 6 weeks old.

*yes

darkvoodoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:22 pm

Thanks for all the replies. ^^ I was told by a friend of mine that a fan is good to use on terrarium setups to help with the air flow, so if I can't get a hold of a wire cage for a while, I'll use a fan and of course clean the tank thoroughly at least once a week. My boyfriend's mother has a lot of spare cages, so I'll definitely ask her if I can buy one from her and only use the tank as a last resort. I would just wait until I can buy a wire cage, but I already have two girls that I set my heart on and if I don't get them from the breeder when they're ready, they can't hold them for me.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────