The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby leg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 pm

seriously✨ wrote:may i just join the convo and introduce myself? C:
snip

aaa cuties. is that a midwest cage? what r they like? ive seen a lot of good reviews of it on a gpig forum im on and it looks familiar to a c&c (which im currently using, 3x4, changing to 3x5 later for three pigs)
“can’t catch a break today.
let’s go get a milkshake.”
leg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmicmoonlily » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:54 pm

--
Last edited by cosmicmoonlily on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
she/her • trades closed
cosmicmoonlily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:00 am

kii. wrote:
Hi all. Please may I have some advice? I've owned Guinea Pigs for years but I'd still like some more knowledgeable and experienced owners thoughts on the matter.

I found a pink fleshly like object on my Guinea Pig's eye, under the upper lid. It's actually on the eye.
She's around 4 - 5 years old, I'm not sure what to do. Her eye is weeping a little bit of gunk, so I bathed it in warm salt water. But I'm not sure if this thing is just something that is coming with age, or if it's going to be life threatening or painful or what. She doesn't seem too bothered by it, but I just want opinions please. Baring in mind vets are very expensive - I don't want to have to put her into surgery unless it is absolutely vital. I don't mind paying for eye drops though.

Thanks in advance.

we're not allowed to provide medical help on here. i would see the vet. for extra advice tho, the gpig uk forum is amazing. here. ive been on there since 2014 and they've helped me countless times w stuff like gas until i could get to the vet etc etc. if ur out of the uk that's chill too, it's national despite the .co.uk
“can’t catch a break today.
let’s go get a milkshake.”
leg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmicmoonlily » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:02 am

leg wrote:
kii. wrote:
Hi all. Please may I have some advice? I've owned Guinea Pigs for years but I'd still like some more knowledgeable and experienced owners thoughts on the matter.

I found a pink fleshly like object on my Guinea Pig's eye, under the upper lid. It's actually on the eye.
She's around 4 - 5 years old, I'm not sure what to do. Her eye is weeping a little bit of gunk, so I bathed it in warm salt water. But I'm not sure if this thing is just something that is coming with age, or if it's going to be life threatening or painful or what. She doesn't seem too bothered by it, but I just want opinions please. Baring in mind vets are very expensive - I don't want to have to put her into surgery unless it is absolutely vital. I don't mind paying for eye drops though.

Thanks in advance.

we're not allowed to provide medical help on here. i would see the vet. for extra advice tho, the gpig uk forum is amazing. here. ive been on there since 2014 and they've helped me countless times w stuff like gas until i could get to the vet etc etc. if ur out of the uk that's chill too, it's national despite the .co.uk

Right, okay thanks.
Just ignore my post then everyone else.
she/her • trades closed
cosmicmoonlily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 am

Hello, so a couple of weeks ago my mom and I purchased a guinea pig. I know it's not really recommended, but almost all of our pets were/are from petstores and have lived long and healthy lives. Our pig is currently fighting some ringworm that she must've got at the petstore, because we noticed it not even a week after having her. But that isn't my concern, because it seems to be almost fully defeated, her hair is now growing back on her nose.

No, my concern is her pickiness. The silly little pig will only eat timothy hay and certain things out of her pellets. I've tried many types of greens and fruits on her, with all of them being ignored. What do I do? I'm worried she's not getting enough of a variety and vitamin C. I tried dressing the veggies in a probiotic we are using with the antibiotic, because she loves the stuff, but she just licks the dressing off the green.

I can't believe that it is actually easier to get a reptile to eat his veggies. The guinea pigs I grew up with would eat anything, even earrings and hair! I'm not used to such a picky eater.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starrats » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 am

Maybe she's lonely?
Lonely piggies can be difficult eaters because they are depressed.
And/or she is not used to getting veggies and does not know what to do with it.

Try giving her guinea pig food with vit C in is that is made out of pellets that all look the same
That way she can't be picky with her pellets because all she needs in is every pellet.
Image Image Image

My Birthday is October 23

Tiny Dwayne "The Pet Rock" Johnson
I'm a Boar
People with this sign are
said to have these characteristics:

Simple, honest, loyal, calm, thoughtful,
intelligent, hard working, strong,
peace-loving, trusting.
Sometimes they can be naive,
gullible, materialistic, clingy
Starrats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:55 am

Starrats wrote:Maybe she's lonely?

Try giving her guinea pig food with vit C in is that is made out of pellets that all look the same
That way she can't be picky with her pellets because all she needs in is every pellet.

If she is depressed, she's done a good job of hiding it. She popcorns like no tomorrow. She also gets human interaction twice a day because of her meds. I think it's because they didn't give her veggies at the store, so yeah, she doesn't know what they are.

I know I'm supposed to do that anyway, but won't she go on a hunger strike if I do? There are pellets in her current food, and she usually ignores them. I don't want her to starve or just live on hay.

As you were born to do,

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starrats » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 am

Megaguirus wrote:

If she is depressed, she's done a good job of hiding it. She popcorns like no tomorrow. She also gets human interaction twice a day because of her meds. I think it's because they didn't give her veggies at the store, so yeah, she doesn't know what they are.

I know I'm supposed to do that anyway, but won't she go on a hunger strike if I do? There are pellets in her current food, and she usually ignores them. I don't want her to starve or just live on hay.

There are different types of pellet foods (at least in my country) expecially made for guinea piggs with extra vit. C. She will get used to them eventually.

Guinea pigs are herd animals which means they need a friend of their own species to interact with.
When I was given my Piggie Molly I had to keep her alone because I did not know if she was pregnant or sick (she was found wandering the streets). But as soon as the quarantine period was over I got her a little sister and she is way more active right now, she also eats more :lol: . When she was alone she also popcorned for a while (1/2 weeks) to but then she stopped. Since she has a sister she does it multiple times a week and they are together now for more than 8 months :lol:
Image Image Image

My Birthday is October 23

Tiny Dwayne "The Pet Rock" Johnson
I'm a Boar
People with this sign are
said to have these characteristics:

Simple, honest, loyal, calm, thoughtful,
intelligent, hard working, strong,
peace-loving, trusting.
Sometimes they can be naive,
gullible, materialistic, clingy
Starrats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:24 am

Starrats wrote:
Megaguirus wrote:

There are different types of pellet foods (at least in my country) expecially made for guinea piggs with extra vit. C. She will get used to them eventually.

Guinea pigs are herd animals which means they need a friend of their own species to interact with.
When I was given my Piggie Molly I had to keep her alone because I did not know if she was pregnant or sick (she was found wandering the streets). But as soon as the quarantine period was over I got her a little sister and she is way more active right now, she also eats more :lol: . When she was alone she also popcorned for a while (1/2 weeks) to but then she stopped. Since she has a sister she does it multiple times a week and they are together now for more than 8 months :lol:

Okay, thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. We were planning on getting her a friend, but then the ringworm appeared and now we have to wait for that to clear up because we don't want another pig to get it, not that we exactly have the money right now for another cage for quarantine or if they fight. *sighs* I'll keep trying different things and update when there's progress!

As you were born to do,

Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cosmicmoonlily » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:11 pm

what's the best type of bedding for a guinea pig.

i'm using sawdust at the moment. just wondering if there's a better alternative. i know straw is a big no no and hay isn't advised either.
she/her • trades closed
cosmicmoonlily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me