The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby _breezy_star_ » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Yesss! I created the rabbit chat 6 years ago! :lol: And yeah, I am grateful that my parents embraced my love of animals long ago. Lol we've always had a ton of pets. Although it will be very hard to move out.... Hard to haul them all.... xD

- ANIMAL MOMMY -
🐶 Ginger . Brody
🐱 Kieran . Delaney . Ian
🐭 Dorian
🐰 Beau . Davey . Juniper . Sorren

ImageImage Image
_breezy_star_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:05 am

hello :c i was wondering if any of you have any advice on how to comfort a pig who's lost their best friend? or in this case, it was her "baby" (she was nine months old). her health declined very quickly overnight, though she went out well. i stayed cuddling her, talking to her, and keeping her warm until 2am, when she left. that was all that i could really do to help her at that point.

anyway, poppy's not feeling the greatest at the moment, as you'd expect. she's not eating as much and she's not up for moving around too much. she's having a hard time mourning the loss of her baby (so am i !!). so i was wondering if any of you have advice on how to comfort her and what to do to help her through it? thank you!
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starrats » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:39 am

방탄소년단 wrote:
      hello :c i was wondering if any of you have any advice on how to comfort a pig who's lost their best friend? or in this case, it was her "baby" (she was nine months old). her health declined very quickly overnight, though she went out well. i stayed cuddling her, talking to her, and keeping her warm until 2am, when she left. that was all that i could really do to help her at that point.

anyway, poppy's not feeling the greatest at the moment, as you'd expect. she's not eating as much and she's not up for moving around too much. she's having a hard time mourning the loss of her baby (so am i !!). so i was wondering if any of you have advice on how to comfort her and what to do to help her through it? thank you!

-Does she have a guinea pig friend? If she's alone getting another pig would cheer her up. (piggies are herd animals)
-and if she is not alone maybe getting a new young piggy may help.
-A small stuffed animal could maybe help, but make sure she does not damage it, she could get sick if she eats it.
-Or maybe she just need time
Image Image Image

My Birthday is October 23

Tiny Dwayne "The Pet Rock" Johnson
I'm a Boar
People with this sign are
said to have these characteristics:

Simple, honest, loyal, calm, thoughtful,
intelligent, hard working, strong,
peace-loving, trusting.
Sometimes they can be naive,
gullible, materialistic, clingy
Starrats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Starrats wrote:
방탄소년단 wrote:

-Does she have a guinea pig friend? If she's alone getting another pig would cheer her up. (piggies are herd animals)
-A small stuffed animal could maybe help, but make sure she does not damage it, she could get sick if she eats it.

thank you for replying !! she doesn't have a friend anymore, though i'm planning to wait just a little while before we introduce a new one, just so that i can make sure she's healthy. how do you go about introducing new pigs to each other? the only pigs i've had were from two accidental litters, so i haven't really had to do that before.

i gave her a little stuffed animal, though she just kind of pushed him away. hopefully time will help. thank you so much again !
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starrats » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:05 am

방탄소년단 wrote:
Starrats wrote:
방탄소년단 wrote:

thank you for replying !! she doesn't have a friend anymore, though i'm planning to wait just a little while before we introduce a new one, just so that i can make sure she's healthy. how do you go about introducing new pigs to each other? the only pigs i've had were from two accidental litters, so i haven't really had to do that before.

i gave her a little stuffed animal, though she just kind of pushed him away. hopefully time will help. thank you so much again !

If you introduce an adult pig you will have to take your time and do it slowly on neutral ground, to see how they react to each other.
if it's a baby pig (6 weeks old) you can just put them together on neutral ground see how it goes and if it goes well they could be together in the same cage in a day/view hours. (make sure you cleaned the cage completely) Oh and make sure the new piggie has the same gender as your current piggy.

I got a rescue piggy Molly last year and after 2 weeks (I had to quarantine her because she was found on the street and I did not know if she was sick or pregnant, luckily she was healthy and not pregnant) I reserved a baby form a breeder nearby (no shelters over here) and Poppy was living with Molly within an hour after I got her home. :lol: (yes I have a Poppy to :lol: )

They are happy sisters now :D
Molly was acting so funny and cute when I put her in a neutral spot with Poppy and every time she saw Poppy or sniffed her: --> :shock: "what is that" :what: :shock: :o "is... is that..... is that a .... GUINEA PIG LIKE ME!!!!!" *happy jumps*
She did this for 3 days :lol: :lol: She was so happy to have a friend :D
I don't know Mollies age so i don't know how long she was alone :oops:
Image Image Image

I'm a Boar

peace-loving, trusting.
Starrats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴇǫᴜɪɴᴇ » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 am

_breezy_star_ wrote:I would have 10+ if I had the space. lol And the money to buy another MidWest cage. Right now I am lucky that we have a spare room that my parents let me turn into the animal/library room. :lol: So there are 3 big piggy cages, a tank with my baby snapping turtle and then my betta tank and 4 bookcases. xD Getting a little crowded. lol

I feel you, I'm lucky enough to have a fair amount of space as I live on acerage, so plenty of room for popcorn sand zoomies, haha. I hope to start a rescue someday as there are a lot of people who neglect their piggies where I live, unfortunately.

방탄소년단 wrote:

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your loss, unfortunately all pet owners have to experience it at some stage. As for Poppy, I would make sure to spend plenty of time with her [cuddling, floor time ect], and monitor her weight if she's not eating very much. I have found mirrors to be very helpful with lonely single pigs and as Starrats said, a soft toy to play with/cuddle up to.

Hi guys, equine here. Not really sure what to say.... I am horse obsessed and proud! If you ever need someone to talk to about anything, my inbox is always open, especially if it's horse-related!
Coding

ᴇǫᴜɪɴᴇ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starrats » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:16 am

OMG, I expanded my C&C cage for my piggies and it was sooooo heavy to get on the 4 ikea 2x2 Kallax units :shock: (45 metal panels) (4x2 on the bottom, 4x1 kitcken loft on top of that (not yet in use) and a 4x1 storage unit on top of that) But I did it and I did it all on my own 8-) I felt like Supergirl or something :lol: :lol: :oops:
Image Image Image

I'm a Boar

peace-loving, trusting.
Starrats

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yetzali » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:19 pm

x
      thanks for all the help c: it was really sad seeing poppy how she was, thankfully she's started eating more again. though we got her a new pig friend today !! i think she really likes her, she started grooming her, it was really cute. i'm glad she's got a new baby. the new pig is around 10 weeks, i haven't named her yet. i'll try and take a couple of pictures when she's more settled in !!
xImage
sarah
infj
she/they
pm me for dog pictures
yetzali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby QUITTING.! » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm

My Guinea Pig is white and black, he looks like a panda. I adore him so much!

Let us live.
QUITTING.!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vi‎ ‎ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:43 am

Last edited by vi‎ ‎ on Thu May 21, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
vi‎ ‎

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me