Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls

Postby Ourpawprints » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:10 am

Just like any other breed of dog, they have the capability to be dangerous dogs and to be amazing family dogs. It really just depends on how you raise them, how much you train them, past experiences and the dog's specific personality. I don't think any breed is "good" nor "bad", "friendly" nor "dangerous". Genetics do affect it of course, but with the right home any dog could be a "good" dog.
Although I judge dogs based on their personalities, not their breeds I have a soft spot for pitties, I've never had one but since I volunteer at my local shelter I know many pitbulls and adore them truly. Whenever I plan on getting a dog I most likely will be adopting a pit bull or pit bull mix as there are so many in need of homes and my lifestyle fits that needed of a pit bull.
"You shout it out,
But I can't hear a word you say
I'm talking loud not saying much
I'm criticized but all your bullets ricochet
You shoot me down, but I get up

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
Fire away, fire away
Ricochet, you take your aim
Fire away, fire away
You shoot me down but I won't fall
I am titanium"
-David Guetta Titanium

Between school, my pets, homework, art and life I have not been able to get on cs often, so please don't be surprised if I'm not very active.
Ourpawprints

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rosepeeg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 am

I think Pitbulls are actually nice but their owners are the ones who jack them up.
rosepeeg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kay. » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:41 am

I live in the UK where they are banned - seen alot of them here though. People are getting banned dogs here.
kay.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:43 am

rosepeeg wrote:I think Pitbulls are actually nice but their owners are the ones who jack them up.

They are naturally nice. It's the owners who turn them mean.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pangali » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 am

My belief is there is no such thing as a dangerous dog, just a dangerous owner. Pit bulls and other bully breeds do not in any way deserve their reputation, they are lovely dogs who are misunderstood. Yes some dogs do get out of control, but it is not due to their breed.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? "- Albus Dumbledore

Pangali

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CuddlesBabyCakes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 am

Pitbulls are the most lovable dogs I have met. Any dog can be bred to fight, it just takes the right person to create the right temperment in a dog. I've seen pitbulls who were nannies to babies and watched them like any mother would. I even have been around pitbulls that put their life on the line just to save me. In my country pitbulls are not banned.
CuddlesBabyCakes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CuddlesBabyCakes » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:01 am

http://youtu.be/0VtE0ySQwhE <Hero Pit Bull Dog Saves Woman From Being Hit By A Train

http://youtu.be/zB9CBniEa-Q <Pitbull Saves Woman MUST WATCH!!-This pitbull saves a woman from a violent beating from her husband
CuddlesBabyCakes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ruruskadoo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:38 am

Pit bulls were originally bred to be more dog reactive, and the people who breed them for fighting still do breed them for that (there are also reputable breeders who breed them for other things, and backyard breeders who breed for money, just for the sake of having puppies, or because they don't bother to spay/neuter). That being said, there are lots of more dog reactive breeds that aren't pits. If socialized early enough though, a lot of the time they can get along great with other dogs, or at the very least be trained to tolerate them. This is true for any breed. It's also true that a dog that isn't all around socialized properly will be much more likely to behave aggressively in general, usually out of fear. My backyard bred Boston terrier will snarl and lunge at strange dogs she meets out in public, but this is because she's afraid of them, which is because we didn't socialize her properly to dogs as a puppy and is exacerbated by her naturally fearful temperament.

Pits aren't naturally aggressive towards humans though, which is an annoyingly common myth. Traditionally the dogs bred for fighting would be culled if they showed aggression towards humans, because you want to be able to go in and drag the dog off the other dog it's mauling without your dog whipping around and slashing you. They only become a danger to humans through poor breeding and training, mostly the latter. People get "scary" looking dogs so they can go around looking tough then "train" them to "act mean." The problem isn't the dog in these cases, it's the idiot who shouldn't be owning one.

It annoys me when people take statistically uncommon incidents of pits attacking people (ignoring the fact that these are just about always pits owned by bad owners who poorly trained and socialized them often trying to encourage aggressive behavior in the first place) and use such anecdotal evidence as "proof" that these are bad evil dogs.

If people want to really attack a breed of dog for "aggression" they should go after Springer Spaniels and English Cocker Spaniels, especially show lines. Those breeds are more genetically predisposed in some lines to suffer from rage syndrome. Rage syndrome causes a dog to suddenly snap and wildly attack anyone nearby with absolutely no warning for no reason. You can't train a dog out of it because it's neurological, not a training problem, so even the best trained dog with rage syndrome would still behave the same way, because the dog doesn't have any control over it and isn't aware of its actions. Why don't we go around banning spaniels? Because it's silly and it's rare, that's why.

If you're going to ban something, ban people who can't pass a basic test of knowledge and training ability from getting a dog. If idiots and people who know nothing about what they're getting into couldn't own dogs, it would solve the problem.
She/her, irregular hours but I'll try to get back to you as fast as I can
Ruruskadoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jazi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:26 am

Just remember, it's NOT always all about how you raise them. Genetics are also a big part of it, socialization, how quickly they left mommy, whether they've had *that one* possibly negative experience, personality... By touting "it's all how you raise them", you hurt both older dogs that could use a second chance and owners who raised their dogs well and still come out with problem dogs.
Jazi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 am

Jazi wrote:Just remember, it's NOT always all about how you raise them. Genetics are also a big part of it, socialization, how quickly they left mommy, whether they've had *that one* possibly negative experience, personality... By touting "it's all how you raise them", you hurt both older dogs that could use a second chance and owners who raised their dogs well and still come out with problem dogs.

This this this. Where's the 'like' button? D:<
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery