Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby S1520 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Yeah my shelter didn't, I'm not sure I can picture what you mean by mobbed, like people would get angry?
The entire training they only selected pitbulls, I understand it was good to include them but they didn't say anything breed specific about them and It would of been good to learn about small nervous dogs too. And on my first walk ever, in training, my pit became reactive towards the dogs in the kennel across and bit the trainer lady! They didn't even explain much about the incident. I've just gotten the real bad side of things.

I feel really bad now, I felt like venting because in real life it's like no-one was being honest about the subject, but now I feel like I've demonized people's beloved pets that are pretty much family to those who own them. I haven't experienced the good side of them.
S1520

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Life- » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:21 am

Hi my friend has a pit bull and i looooooove them i even have one in CS
FF1095
Life-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:34 pm

In my opinion, it varies on the people who raise pitbulls, and how they treat them. If a person shows love, affection, and the dog is well trained, what problem would they have? But, overtime, things change, and so do pitbulls/dogs. I used to have a pitbull that we dearly loved. He was a gentle giant and protective over me and my sister. Which, sometimes that is good if someone broke into the house or tryed to get to family. One day, I let the dog out into the yard. Little did we know, there was a hole in the fence and the neighbors Chihuahua got in! My dog was just defending the family, as this other was unknown. The Chihuahua was killed, and I am pretty sure that we became way more cautious with our actions. Whenever a dog would walk by she. We walking our 'so called vicious' pitbull, we would hide behind a bush or something.
That pitbull died of cancer around five years old. What bothers me is that whenever I mention the word pitbulls and how awesome they are as companions, I get ignored or maybe enter a conversation/argument about the sweeties. I hate how they are misjudged. Never did the pitbulls hurt us but yet, my sister has gotten bit by a German Shepard collie mix, and a boxer.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rancidram » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Although I think pitfalls can be sweet and loving, they still are aggressive. They were bred to be fighting dogs, and I wouldn't own them until there have been enough generations where that fighting trait is absent.
I had a friend who bought a pit bull puppy from a shelter. Sweetest puppy and grown up with the family. One day, the dog tripped out of nowhere and attacked the cat. Killing it. It took 3 grown men to take the dog off the cat, only finding the cat to be dead.
Then, a few years later, the dog saw a group of guys walking and ran to them. Attacking one of them, having to give the guy stitches. The owners had to get rid of the dog because it was too aggressive.
╔══════════════════════════════════════╗
r a n c i d r a m
black lives matter β€’ empty the tanks β€’ feminist
most likely inactive
ImageImageImage
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•
rancidram

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:53 pm

PocketDragon wrote:Although I think pitfalls can be sweet and loving, they still are aggressive. They were bred to be fighting dogs, and I wouldn't own them until there have been enough generations where that fighting trait is absent.
I had a friend who bought a pit bull puppy from a shelter. Sweetest puppy and grown up with the family. One day, the dog tripped out of nowhere and attacked the cat. Killing it. It took 3 grown men to take the dog off the cat, only finding the cat to be dead.
Then, a few years later, the dog saw a group of guys walking and ran to them. Attacking one of them, having to give the guy stitches. The owners had to get rid of the dog because it was too aggressive.

Pit bulls are absolutely not supposed to be human aggressive, it's not a part of the breed. They can be dog aggressive and have a high prey drive, but that doesn't make them human aggressive or bad dogs, it makes them dogs for experienced owners who can handle that. They were bred to be fighting dogs, you can't have your fighting dog interested in biting humans. They would be in the pits with the dogs while they fought, want to minimize the loss of fingers as much as possible. Pit bulls are also rarely in shelters, they're usually mixes. Whenever you adopt a mix from the shelter there's a risk since you don't know their backround, the breeds in them etc.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm

maninkari wrote:
PocketDragon wrote:Although I think pitfalls can be sweet and loving, they still are aggressive. They were bred to be fighting dogs, and I wouldn't own them until there have been enough generations where that fighting trait is absent.

Pit bulls are absolutely not supposed to be human aggressive, it's not a part of the breed. They can be dog aggressive and have a high prey drive, but that doesn't make them human aggressive or bad dogs, it makes them dogs for experienced owners who can handle that. They were bred to be fighting dogs, you can't have your fighting dog interested in biting humans. They would be in the pits with the dogs while they fought, want to minimize the loss of fingers as much as possible. Pit bulls are also rarely in shelters, they're usually mixes. Whenever you adopt a mix from the shelter there's a risk since you don't know their backround, the breeds in them etc.

Yes. Sometimes they may have been abused in their past, and this can cause them to recognize quick pats or touches to attack. Sometimes though dogs can associate skin color or clothing with memories of being abused. Bull terriers were also bred to be fighting dogs, along side pits, but both are capable of becoming excellent service dogs and/or companions.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Nope, I think that's just a person who doesn't know how to control his dog. How would it attack and kill an animal and then get the opportunity to attack again? How did the dog get to the group of men, why wasn't it in a fenced in, secure yard or at least on a chain?

@maninkari-
Yup, as controversial as this may sound, I absolutely never adopt dogs from shelters, or rescues. I don't trust the people or the dog, no matter how nice the dog looks/acts and how convincing people are I'm not taking any shelter dog home around children. And those little 'temperment tests' don't work for me either. If I ever adopt, puppy has to be 10 weeks and under, no exceptions.
β˜† kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schwarzes Pferd » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:39 pm

I have 4, they are truly the sweetest things ever if they're raised right that is.
Schwarzes Pferd

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:05 pm

halogen. wrote:@maninkari-
Yup, as controversial as this may sound, I absolutely never adopt dogs from shelters, or rescues. I don't trust the people or the dog, no matter how nice the dog looks/acts and how convincing people are I'm not taking any shelter dog home around children. And those little 'temperment tests' don't work for me either. If I ever adopt, puppy has to be 10 weeks and under, no exceptions.

I've had shelter dogs and I was always, always ready for aggression issues and triggers. It's not easy rescuing a dog from an unknown backround, my current shelter dog had serious dog aggression and separation anxiety. It's taken a year of work to get him to the point where he won't attack any large dog he sees. Rescuing a dog is a great thing, but it's not for everyone and it's not easy.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackforestchameleon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 am

A lot of people are saying that pits are need to dislike other dogs/animals..... I think that mostly depends on the owner and trainer, not what breed they are, my boyfriend has 5 pits, a cat, and a snake. I have never seen the pits do anything to harm any of the other animals, even though the car and snake are relatively new to the household
Phinneas
He/him πŸ’•

~(*--*)~ ~(^_^)~
blackforestchameleon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me