Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby PikaPerfect » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:59 am

maninkari wrote:
halogen. wrote:@maninkari-
Yup, as controversial as this may sound, I absolutely never adopt dogs from shelters, or rescues. I don't trust the people or the dog, no matter how nice the dog looks/acts and how convincing people are I'm not taking any shelter dog home around children. And those little 'temperment tests' don't work for me either. If I ever adopt, puppy has to be 10 weeks and under, no exceptions.

I've had shelter dogs and I was always, always ready for aggression issues and triggers. It's not easy rescuing a dog from an unknown backround, my current shelter dog had serious dog aggression and separation anxiety. It's taken a year of work to get him to the point where he won't attack any large dog he sees. Rescuing a dog is a great thing, but it's not for everyone and it's not easy.

Oh, I definitely agree with this. We rescued my dog when he was just over a year old. We had no idea of his background aside from the facts that he came from North Carolina, and (seemingly) enjoyed being around other dogs. Turns out that, as much of a sweetie as he is, he does have some minor dog aggression, but it's all understandable. He is terrified of dogs he doesn't know if he meets them on their turf, and he is mortified of pit bulls. Like I said, I don't know his background, but I'm assuming he was attacked by (a) pit bull(s) when he was just a puppy, because now he just flips out whenever he sees one. He barks, growls, raises his fur, and, if they get close enough, will not at all hesitate to attack and bite. In my old house, our neighbor had a pit bull. First, our dog got out and attacked it, but later it got out and (tried to) attack our dog (Our dog got out without a scratch but our neighbor's dog certainly didn't >.>).

Anyway, the point of this is that sometimes adopted dogs have weird things about them. My dog (His name is Bentley by the way), has awful separation anxiety, and like I said before, hates pit bulls. I think the big thing about adopting a pit from a shelter is a fear of the combination of an abusive background, plus their unpredicatable nature. I do believe that all pits have natural aggression in them, but it's the fault of the a-holes from a hundred years ago creating the poor things sheerly for dog fighting. It's awful, really, and I feel so bad for them :c Of course, just because they were bred to fight, doesn't mean they all will. As a matter of fact, very few dogs conform with the personalities they're known for or bred for. There are vicious golden retrievers, lazy huskies, ignorant labs, quiet chihuahuas, and so on. Pits are also very smart, and a combination of aggressive genes from how long ago, and the ability to remember any bad situation they were in usually leads to an aggressive dog, which is the fault of the people, not the dog.

I am one of the people who tries to avoid adopting pits, or any dog for that matter, over a month old from a shelter, just because how am I supposed to know whether this dog was beaten or used for fighting? How am I supposed to know whether this dog is going to try and kill me? How am I supposed to know whether this dog was left to die right outside a McDonald's where it could associate so many humans with pain and abuse? 90% of the time, a pit bull is aggressive because the crap people do with them. Dog fights are illegal now, but that doesn't stop people from doing them, and guess what breed is the most popular dog fighting breed? Yeah. It's pit bulls.

[i might edit more onto this because I gotta go now]
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:54 am

I think that they're not unpredictable if you understand the breed history, just like with any other dog. They are not prone to human aggression, since people would be in the pits with the fighting dogs. They are prone to dog aggression, and have high energy and drive.
I really don't think they're any less predictable than other dog breeds.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:40 pm

maninkari wrote:I think that they're not unpredictable if you understand the breed history, just like with any other dog. They are not prone to human aggression, since people would be in the pits with the fighting dogs. They are prone to dog aggression, and have high energy and drive.
I really don't think they're any less predictable than other dog breeds.

Hmm, yes.
Actually, most people have banned them or rid of them just for there past of fighting and why they were bred.
In reality, they are just judging the dog.

Due to selective breeding for the purposes of dogfighting, pit bulls are highly dog-aggressive. This aggression is not limited to dogs; pit bulls frequently kill other companion pets and domesticated animals. Leading pit bull education websites warn pit bull owners to, "Never trust your pit bull not to fight."
Nope. Unbelievable. You also can't trust any other dog not to fight. Smaller dog breeds (Pomeranian, Jack russels, chihuahuas, etc.)
are ven more prone to fighting. If you take a glance at some professional dog trainers (Ceaser Millan for EX/)
He uses pits to control other dogs aggression(s). Sometimes it is a Pomeranian or a lab that needs work because they are prone to dog-aggression.
Pit Bulls are great with children. Pit Bulls are a loyal, people-oriented breed that thrive as part of the family. They are affectionate with both adults and children.
I can relate, as we have had two.
Pit Bulls are Loyal to their Owners. Your pit bull will be you and your family's best friend from the day you take them home to the day they pass away. While they will be naturally protective of their family and their property, because pitbulls are so people-orientated they do not make good guard dogs.
I can agree. They do love people. One time when we had two, they were eating. My little sister went up to the female one (puppy) and pet her. The other one, the male, one we had for 3 years, thought that the other dog had done something to her so he instantly - to PROTECT my sister, locked his jaws around the other dogs neck. She survived, but we gave her away so there would be no more fighting, as that was about the 4th time.
In the case of joggers, runners, bikers, etc., it's because the motion of the person triggers their prey drive. However, not every dog will naturally decide to chase down and bite someone who's moving too quickly. Those dogs that do have learned to do it because of their past- associating skin color, hair, even voices with other people.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 pm

My girl used to try to chase joggers when she was a puppy, haha. Her mother was a registered APBT, but she's a mix. It's surprising that she not only didn't inherit dog aggression, she's also the most dog tolerant dog I've ever met. I take care of strays and lost dogs around the area so she meets a ton of aggressive dogs, and she'll just ignore them and stand by me. She's also the easiest dog I've ever trained. I had an Aussie/APBT mix and he was my best friend but he was SO difficult to train. Me and herding dogs have never clicked well, still love them though.

((gif for your viewing pleasure because she's really cute.))
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GucciBelt » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:19 am

I have had 2 pitbulls. I'm very scared of pitbulls but I don't think they're bad dogs. I'm just scared of dogs in general because of how hyper they can be and how much they jump.
My birthday is December 21!
I love sending and receiving gifts!
~✞~
One night I dreamed I was walking along the
beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life
flashed across the sky.In each scene I noticed
footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were
two sets of footprints, other times there was
one only.This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life, when I
was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints, so I said
to the Lord, β€œYou promised me Lord,that if
I followed you, you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying
periods of my life there has only been one set
of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed
you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied, β€œThe years when you have
seen only one set of footprints, my child,
is when I carried you.”
-Mary Stevenson

~✞~
GucciBelt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:31 am

FlamingEmber wrote:I have had 2 pitbulls. I'm very scared of pitbulls but I don't think they're bad dogs. I'm just scared of dogs in general because of how hyper they can be and how much they jump.

Scared of poodles? They are-i am pretty sure at least more hyper. My grandparents have two a little bit Less than a year old. CRAZY
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eremite » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:40 am

Itsnotwhoyouthink wrote:A lot of people are saying that pits are need to dislike other dogs/animals..... I think that mostly depends on the owner and trainer, not what breed they are, my boyfriend has 5 pits, a cat, and a snake. I have never seen the pits do anything to harm any of the other animals, even though the car and snake are relatively new to the household

Genetics do play a large part in a dog's temperament. Real APBTs (ADBA reg ones, not the unreg block headed mixes BYBs/Shelters sell) are commonly animal aggressive because they have such high prey drives as that is what they were bred for. Dog aggression in APBTs is the same as the herding instinct in Border Collies. You can take a BC to sheep and often times they start trying to herd naturally, you can put an APBT around other dogs and often times start to display aggression towards it. Just part of the breed, nothing wrong with it when you know what you're doing.
Blame is a coward but self-righteous
A funny little creature hiding out in me
Hate is power with a price tag
A funny little creature screaming out in me
Listen to me
Fear is a liar but he's been right before
If you fight your shadow, you'll get lost in a war
Ambitions a champ, but he's also greedy
Drunk or sober he always wants more
I always want more
I always want more
Lust is beauty in a body bag
A funny little thing that's screaming "Just use me!"

Eremite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:37 am

Eremite wrote:
Itsnotwhoyouthink wrote:A lot of people are saying that pits are need to dislike other dogs/animals..... I think that mostly depends on the owner and trainer, not what breed they are, my boyfriend has 5 pits, a cat, and a snake. I have never seen the pits do anything to harm any of the other animals, even though the car and snake are relatively new to the household

Genetics do play a large part in a dog's temperament. Real APBTs (ADBA reg ones, not the unreg block headed mixes BYBs/Shelters sell) are commonly animal aggressive because they have such high prey drives as that is what they were bred for. Dog aggression in APBTs is the same as the herding instinct in Border Collies. You can take a BC to sheep and often times they start trying to herd naturally, you can put an APBT around other dogs and often times start to display aggression towards it. Just part of the breed, nothing wrong with it when you know what you're doing.

Yes! Finally someone knows what they're talking about and isn't just spouting what the media says. People who just say 'No, pitbulls are aggressive because of their owners' and stick by that saying annoy me SOO much! Sure a APBT's aggression can be goaded on by an owner, but many times its just genetics.

So, I also had an argument with somebody about cropping Spade's ears. All I said was that I had THOUGHT about it, since she is going to be hog hunting with me, it wouldn't be for purely cosmetic reasons. The person actually told me that pitbulls were not meant for hunting, hounds and retrievers are, I had such a good laugh. And he also owns a 'pitbull', another one of those shelter adopt mixes(American bully, bulldog, labrador mix looking dog). I showed him a real APBT and he told me that his dog was just 'overweight' LOL!! Anyways he was so uneducated about APBTs, it was funny, must be because he doesn't even own one.
β˜† kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The_zodiac_nobody » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:45 am

I know someone who has, a pitbull. That pitbull is very sweet and kind, but she can get jumpy at moments. The only reason I get scared of her is BECUASE when I move quickly, she sometimes scares me, BECUASE she jumps on me. But she only nipped me a few times, and that wasn't BECUASE of aggression. I've lived with her for a year, and she is very kind, and all that jazz. It just depends on how they are raised. But she is a fat dog! :D :lol:
the_zodiac_nobody
The_zodiac_nobody

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:37 am

http://www.drjensdogblog.com/its-not-al ... -behavior/