Horse Genetics and pretty pictures of pretty colored horses.

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Horse Genetics and pretty pictures of pretty colored horses.

Postby Athenaa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:12 am

I was looking at some various forums talking about equine colors over the last few days(not isolated to one case. I've seen it nearly everywhere.) , and I saw quite a few misconceptions. I decided to share some pretty pictures and try to help clear some of them up. Any questions related to anything about color genetics feel free to ask me, I probably know something of value.
Firstly, for those wondering, There are no such thing as Albino horses. The gene is non existent in horses. For those who do not know, these are the genes mistaken for albino:

Grey, the dominant color that causes solid horses to loose pigment in their hair as they age, usually becoming completely ' white' between one year old and five years old. Sometimes they stay dappled or 'steel' colored throughout their entire lifetime, only lightening minimally. They will always have BLACK skin under their white fur, which is visible around their eyes/muzzle and when their coat is wet. The only reason why these horses would have blue eyes is if the horse has splash or sabino under its coat. Calling this horse 'white' is incorrect and misleading. Note his grey skin:
The typical blue eyes found on sabino horses,
this is a grey below, note the black skin around his eyes:
A Dapple grey, he will likely lighten to a nearly white color, but will retain the dark skin and black eyes.:

Dominant white, identified by their pink skin, brown eyes, and pure white coat.
Dominant means that this gene only needs one copy for the color so show up, and therefor can be Heterozygous.
Note the brown/black eyes:
Note the pink skin:

LWS/OLWS stands for Lethal white syndrome, it is a recessive gene found in Overo pintos and sometimes even solids that causes foals to be born completely white, with pink skin and blue eyes. These foals always die within a few days due to a non functioning Colon and nervous system. Most are humanely euth'd.
Image of an OWLS foal:
A second OLWS foal:

Extensive Sabino/Splash are two dominant genes and causes some remarkable patterns. Sabino and Splash are the genes responsible for almost all markings found in horses asides from Tobiano, Overo, and Tovero. Extensive horses vary greatly, but in some cases the gene causes the animal to be completely white.
How to tell Splash and Sabino apart: Splash horses look like they are dipped in paint, their markings are generally even and they often have completely white heads. Sabino's markings are often jagged, and they often have pink markings and spots on their lips/chin. Sabino is often accompanied by a gene called 'Rabicano'.

Moderate Splash, note how it looks like they were dipped in paint
and how their heads are completely white:
Extensive Splash:

Moderate sabino arabian stallion(I believe named Khartoon Khlassic, by Khemosabi), note the jagged markings:

Extensive Sabino, looks like a dominant white.
Good thing we have genetic Testing!:
Extensive Sabino 2:

Extensive Sabino with Lacing:

A Rabicano:
Another Rabicano:

A Rabicano with the classic 'coon tail' :

Another Coon Tail:

Another Coon Tail, Note the striping:

A Sabino expressing Rabicano:

Sabino/Rabicano Lacing:

Cremello horses are caused by a gene called Cream. Cremellos are chestnut horses(ee) with two cream alleles, causing a very light cream colored body and a pure white mane and tail. They have pink skin and blue eyes.
A cremello with faint dapples :

Perlinos are also caused by the cream gene and have two cream alleles. However, they are bay(Ee Aa) horses below the cream instead of chestnut like cremellos. They are identifiable by their white bodies and darker cream legs/mane and tail. Like Cremellos, they have pink skin and blue eyes.
A Perlino, note the dark mane, tail, and legs.:

Smokey Cream horses are double allele creams over a black coat. (Ee or EE) Like both Perlino and Cremello horses, they have blue eyes and pink skin and are nearly white, but they have a dusky color to them as cream cannot completely cover black pigment.
A smokey Cream:

If I missed any, let me know XD
Athenaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Horse Genetics and pretty pictures of pretty colored hor

Postby Bearsy <3 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:52 am

Ohoh, I love colour genetics. C:
I'm no expert, but it's always fun reading up about them [bonus points for gorgeous pictoral examples!] and seeing how much variety there really is. I have a soft spot for most "unusual" colours and am a huuuge sucker for a white face with blue eyes. That Splash mare is stunning. <3

Also admire all Champagne horses. I had a basic grasp of the genes and what-have-you, but I'll have to give them another look over to refresh my memory. It's not the most complicated [I'm fairly sure it's just a dilute?], if I remember rightly, but whatever. I'll get back to you guys, haha. ;D
Bearsy <3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Athenaa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:44 am

oh, that mare is a favorite of mine too ^^ I had to restrain myself from adding more pictures of those coon/skunk tails too.
I totally forgot about Champagne horses, yes, Im pretty sure they are a dilute. They probably have a color or two thats also looks white like that. I love the golden eyes...
Athenaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:57 am

I also love brindles, reverse dapples, and silvers. Also, maybe you could have something on the dun gene? And yes, we NEED chamanges:
There can also be some beautiful and rare roans, like this smoky creme:
I really love horses like this chocolate roan silver dappled Rocky Mountain:
Liver Flaxens are equally beautiful! *fights urge to post more pictures*

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 am

Color genetics~ *dancing around* YES I love them and the 'weird' colored horses. :lol: I also know quite lot about them too.
My favorite dilutes must be duns and silvers, also roan and any white pattern is cool.

I'm pretty sure this guy is also a sabino as the patches have ridged edges instead clean one like the splash usually makes them.
Also one sort of mistake spotted: Tovero is not a pattern of it own, but a tobiano and any other pattern, like sabino or frame.

Cool sabino arabians: link

Also I have slight color problem: See this guy?(sorry for the picture quality) Registered once as a silver palomino(not possible to see silver on palomino horse) but changed bit later to normal palomino. He looks pretty much like a palomino right, but his legs are really dark(no well seen here though) and he has bunch of black in his face as well. So he would be just really sooty palomino. BUT looking through his lineage it's possible that he could be silverbuckskin. His dam is a smoky black and sire is registered as dark chestnut, but looks very much like a dark silver dapple, and has silver in his pedigree so he could easily carry it even if he really is a chestnut. If I remember right he actually had a silver offspring with non silver mare. Oppinions?
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:42 am

I've seen that picture before and I believe they called him a splash ^^

Found the link: http://draftswithdots.blogspot.com/2010 ... nally.html c:

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 pm

The original link goes to french website, and I don't speak french... Yeah he's a splash, but just saying he might also have sabino. Unless someone genetest test the horse or it's parents all people can do is guess and say what they see. ;)
Example: 10 year old grey horse looks usually pretty white, but you can't see what color it truely is.
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Athenaa » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:34 am

He might have sabino, but I sort of doubt it, the pattern he has is classic splash, it might just have been expressed oddly. Like sabino has so much variation in its expression.

I think later I might post about roans and rabicanos...
Athenaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thomas Hickey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am

Image Gurlla is a very pretty and rare coloring
"The Templars. Lee. The big man, Haytham. They 'as the money. They 'as the power. That's the reason I threw in with 'em. That's the ONLY reason. [...] They paid me so I said yes. Didn't bother to ask who or how or why. Didn't care."
―Thomas Hickey
Thomas Hickey

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Rarity depens on the breed. ;) But yes it's very nice color, though if you add silver to it it's even prettier. :)
Image<Silver blue dun(grullo/grulla)
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me