Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby birbmememaster24 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 am

winter & fireflii wrote:
birbmememaster24 wrote:she’s also annoyed when i send her cute snake photos
how is it annoying they’re like blessings from god himself

she says she hates snakes and i don’t think it helps me and her dont get along great for other reasons, but i am determined to make her at least like them, or not even like them, just tolerate them

I probably wouldn't send pictures. Even if you think they're cute, I'm sure she doesn't. I personally REALLY don't like roaches, and I would really hate it if someone sent me pictures of them (they are in no way, shape, or form "cute" to me). It may help to actually sit down and have a nice discussion about why she doesn't like them. Try not to judge and say "but they're cute, look at their puppy faces", etc. because in the long run, that doesn't help. What can help is addressing what fears she has. Is she afraid the snake will escape? If so, you can talk about how your enclosure will have a locking lid. Is she afraid it will hurt you, her, or another pet? If so, you can explain how snakes are only defensive, not aggressive. They would not bite unless they recognize something as food (and you can explain how a human would be seen more as a predator, and their natural diet consists of small mammals and birds). If she doens't like seeing it, you could try to discuss a possible location to house your snake (ex. in your room, out of sight of her passing by). Ask if there's anything you can do to address her fears, something you can work out with her, etc. But if she says no, don't push it. If you get pushy, you get annoying, and when you get annoying, she's even less likely to accept a snake in the house.
-fireflii

thanks for the advice! i’ll update you on how it goes

I hope someday my sadness will be replaced by something beautiful
    Matthew ♡ Bisexual ♡ He/Him c

Image Image Image
birbmememaster24

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

turtle boy

Postby skyline » Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 pm

so the other day a kid across the street brought over a turtle, and my sister gave him 9 bucks
for it, little did we know the conditions he was living in. it was awful. there was no lamp, the
water was so cloudy and unclean. so that day i put him in a little plastic container that previously,
had cookies in it, i know it sounds weird but it was perfect for a temporary habitat. i put rocks and
spring water in there, and he was in that for about a day, but then my mom pitched in tonight and
brought home a little tank in which she also bought a filter for, food and a lamp. so i'm happy to say
we saved his life, he definitely would've died if in the conditions he was for much longer, after that
we all decided his name would be zeus.
anyways here are some pictures i took of him in his new house earlier c:

skyline

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: turtle boy

Postby vencrypt » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:25 am

skyline wrote:
so the other day a kid across the street brought over a turtle, and my sister gave him 9 bucks
for it, little did we know the conditions he was living in. it was awful. there was no lamp, the
water was so cloudy and unclean. so that day i put him in a little plastic container that previously,
had cookies in it, i know it sounds weird but it was perfect for a temporary habitat. i put rocks and
spring water in there, and he was in that for about a day, but then my mom pitched in tonight and
brought home a little tank in which she also bought a filter for, food and a lamp. so i'm happy to say
we saved his life, he definitely would've died if in the conditions he was for much longer, after that
we all decided his name would be zeus.
anyways here are some pictures i took of him in his new house earlier c:

- snip -

I am glad you took him up before he grew older, because I know little kids get so bored of turtles so easily. Though im not an expert on turtles or tortoises in general, im pretty sure he's a red eared slider. im glad he's going to do well in the future !!

herpetology | aquascaping | entomology
xxxxthey/them | artist | ecologist

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

❝ ❝
Don't you ever feel like you've been destined for something bigger than your skin?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX❞ ❞
xxHeyo I'm Ven. I like reptiles and fish. Currently in college pursuing
a major in Ecology and Environmental Science degree, with a focus on ichthyology.

xxxxxxxx
img by
crowprince
xxxxxxxx
vencrypt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:23 pm

sebsamaru wrote:Okay, so I decided to get some crickets today for my gecko, Pudding, as I've only really been used to feeding him 2 waxworms a day to help him settle in and put on some weight (he's 8 weeks old, have had him for about 3 days).
Unfortunately, I found that my brain also really does not like the sight of crickets.
How would I go about becoming used to them, and any advice on keeping them contained + healthy?

I have a small cricket keeper, bug gel + bug feed, also how many should I put in? I seem to have put quite a large amount in. Some pile a bit, not much though. Have I overfilled it? They're pretty small-medium brown crickets, and I'm afraid some may escape.

My anxiety is through the roof right now. I have this container: xx
Sorry if this was posted in the wrong subforum, or that there's a better topic for this.

I'm also really terrified that they'll eat Pudding. I've heard people saying that they accidentally left a cricket in the vivarium and it killed the gecko.

Should I remain getting crickets, or are they not recommended? What's a good substitute for crickets (except cockroaches or locusts, they freak me the hell out, man).

Crickets really aren't worth it if you're uneasy around them. They will bite a lizard if left in a cage with them, so it's a hassle to make sure you've removed all of them. They're loud and they die easily.
If you're going to invest in something that freaks you out anyway you should invest in Dubia roaches. They freak me out too, but I wear gloves when around them and pick them up with tongs. They don't bite, make noise, or smell. And they're better for your gecko nutritionally
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby saorsa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:17 pm

wow its been awhile

anyway most of my hatchlings from last season are all up for sale and it's bittersweet to see them go
but i do have a really awesome pairing this summer that i can't wait to see the babies

some pictures of my gecks for fun :)

interstellar

jupiter

charon
adoptsbeaumont kennel
senegal zebraswmetoyhouse

adult • dog groomer • horse enthusiast
gamer • bookworm • artist
saorsa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WhiteWater ; » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 am

@space fox duuuudde, owning a gargoyle is my dream man! You have gorgeous geckos!
────────────
bree | female canadian | reptiles | fish | cars
hello there! i'm whitewater, but you can call me white or bree!
i'm simply a weird atlantic canadian who has a fascination with cars,
reptiles, photography, dead things and drawing! feel free to shoot
me a pm if you just simply want to talk,
or if I could help you with anything!
────────────────────
discord: WhiteWater #2061
toyhouse: whitewater
commissions: art shop
art trades: open
────────────
WhiteWater ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Salamandaa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:30 am

control wrote:
sebsamaru wrote:Okay, so I decided to get some crickets today for my gecko, Pudding, as I've only really been used to feeding him 2 waxworms a day to help him settle in and put on some weight (he's 8 weeks old, have had him for about 3 days).
Unfortunately, I found that my brain also really does not like the sight of crickets.
How would I go about becoming used to them, and any advice on keeping them contained + healthy?

I have a small cricket keeper, bug gel + bug feed, also how many should I put in? I seem to have put quite a large amount in. Some pile a bit, not much though. Have I overfilled it? They're pretty small-medium brown crickets, and I'm afraid some may escape.

My anxiety is through the roof right now. I have this container: xx
Sorry if this was posted in the wrong subforum, or that there's a better topic for this.

I'm also really terrified that they'll eat Pudding. I've heard people saying that they accidentally left a cricket in the vivarium and it killed the gecko.

Should I remain getting crickets, or are they not recommended? What's a good substitute for crickets (except cockroaches or locusts, they freak me the hell out, man).

Crickets really aren't worth it if you're uneasy around them. They will bite a lizard if left in a cage with them, so it's a hassle to make sure you've removed all of them. They're loud and they die easily.
If you're going to invest in something that freaks you out anyway you should invest in Dubia roaches. They freak me out too, but I wear gloves when around them and pick them up with tongs. They don't bite, make noise, or smell. And they're better for your gecko nutritionally

I agree with this! I have two leopard geckos and I feed them dubia roaches as their diet staple. They're great compared to crickets. Like control said, crickets are noisy, smelly, escape easily, die easily, etc. If left in the cage too long they can annoy your geckos and eat their feces.

Dubia roaches (some stores call them "spotted roaches") are easy to keep alive and I have actually heard they're nutritionally better for your gecko. Since you're feeding a gecko, you will be feeding it small nymphs - not adult roaches! Nymphs look like little beetles or pill bugs. I put a link to a picture if you want to see what they look like. v
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1033/5251/files/dubia_roach_size_chart.jpg?v=1487293238

You leave them in their container until you're ready to feed. You can actually put in the same gel & food you use for the crickets. When you feed dubias to your gecko, you can let the dubias loose in the cage or feed with tongs. The only downside with dubias is they like to hide, so if you let them roam around the cage you may need to sometimes get them out from under stuff so your geckos can find them.

Even though I feed my geckos dubias for their main diet, I still feed them a variety of foods to keep them enriched. You don't have to do this, but I alternate their secondary foods to include crickets, waxworms, mealworms, calciworms, etc. It's good to have worms on hand in case you run out of dubias to feed.

My old username was Frostdragon
New username, new me! I like dinosaurs.
Salamandaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunflower, » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 pm

hello!
      i'm going to be getting a leopard gecko in a few months.
      i've already done plenty of research, but i have a question i'd like to ask.

can i house two geckos in a 40g? i'd use a tank divider so they'd each get their own 20 gallons, with their own heating mat and hides. they would never actually make contact or even see each other. i was just wondering if i could do this, or would i be better off getting two separate tanks?

thank you in advance!
my dream pets are the mini huskies from christmas 2008 :)
sunflower,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:38 am

sunflower, wrote:
      hello!

can i house two geckos in a 40g? i'd use a tank divider so they'd each get their own 20 gallons, with their own heating mat and hides. they would never actually make contact or even see each other. i was just wondering if i could do this, or would i be better off getting two separate tanks?

thank you in advance!

I don't see why not as long as the divider was really secure
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:54 am

sunflower, wrote:
      hello!

thank you in advance!

Should be fine as long as the divider is secure! I've seen many people do this with plenty of success. Just remember that young ones are very small and may be able to climb over the divider if it's not completely secure to the tank lid.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items