Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby maninkari » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:09 am

I found a very cold lizard in my yard, so I brought him in and put him in the tank I usually use for mice lol. He's warmed up now and seems very healthy, and he's pretty.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CSF » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:39 am

maninkari wrote:I found a very cold lizard in my yard, so I brought him in and put him in the tank I usually use for mice lol. He's warmed up now and seems very healthy, and he's pretty.

It was kind of you to bring him in and let him warm up :) but it would be best to release it now. Wild caught lizards typically do not survive long being kept indoors.
CSF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 am

CSF wrote:
maninkari wrote:I found a very cold lizard in my yard, so I brought him in and put him in the tank I usually use for mice lol. He's warmed up now and seems very healthy, and he's pretty.

It was kind of you to bring him in and let him warm up :) but it would be best to release it now. Wild caught lizards typically do not survive long being kept indoors.

I will :) Imma let him go a little ways away from my house where I usually see fence lizards.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:51 am

My girlfriend has six Leopard Geckos. She is so knowledgeable about them and I have learned so much. There are five girls; Gamora (my buddy), Nova, Index, Sanae, & Charlie and one boy; Gelfling.

As for myself, I want to get a crested gecko and bearded dragon. Which should I go with first? Pros and cons of both?

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:27 am

ryukrem wrote:
      My girlfriend has six Leopard Geckos. She is so knowledgeable about them and I have learned so much. There are five girls; Gamora (my buddy), Nova, Index, Sanae, & Charlie and one boy; Gelfling.

As for myself, I want to get a crested gecko and bearded dragon. Which should I go with first? Pros and cons of both?

I feel you should go with a crested gecko first, (if your looking for an easy starter), their less expensive and pretty low maintenance and a good starter reptile, I can say I'm definitely happy with my crestie. As for a bearded dragon, I've never owned one, but from what I've heard they are definitely more expensive to own and require more work. c:
Last edited by Cetacea on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 am

ryukrem wrote:

What are you looking for in terms of the pet? something you can handle frequently or something that's more of a showcase pet? Cresteds dont tolerate handling as much as beardies and are much more skittish. Some do eventually come around but in my experience more often than not they don't. If given the proper environment you won't see a crested gecko much as they like to hide and they are nocturnal, but they are much easier to provide lighting for and easier and cheaper to feed. A bearded dragon is much more handleable but need very specific UVB lighting which can get costly, and need MUCH more space which is also more costly to provide. Their temps are higher and need both warm and cool ambient temps above room temp. I started out with a bearded dragon and was quickly very discouraged and overwhelmed as I started out with the wrong info before discovering the correct stuff about temps and UVB bulbs, the latter which was particularly confusing. So research research research and make sure everything is set up and correct long before adding the beardie if you go that route. Buy from a breeder that you know is also providing the right supplementation schedule and lighting so you know you're beardie isn't suffering from health issues from a young age, where bone development is crucial. I always recommend blue tongue skinks over beardies for new owners, but I'm assuming your girlfriend has some background knowledge about lighting and stuff since she's been exposed to that stuff since she has other reptiles
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bone kid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:41 am

I've had my bearded dragon for a little bit over a year now, but because he's still young I wasn't expecting him to brumate this year, but while at my classes a few days ago he decided he should. I'm really unprepared and don't know what to do because he's my first reptile and I'm a little worried. He just got over being sick and is still recovering, so he's still underweight. Any advice on what I should do?

Levi│he/him│♋︎

Hey, my name is Levi but I tend to go
by Lev, so call me by what you'd like.
I'm an artist and fursuit maker.

bone kid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .kestral » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 am

ArchieBug wrote:
I've had my bearded dragon for a little bit over a year now, but because he's still young I wasn't expecting him to brumate this year, but while at my classes a few days ago he decided he should. I'm really unprepared and don't know what to do because he's my first reptile and I'm a little worried. He just got over being sick and is still recovering, so he's still underweight. Any advice on what I should do?

I would advise not letting him brumate this year if your not sure on his health, and especially if he is underweight. Keep him warm, wake him up, move him around. He may black beard you but I think it’s the safer option.
Having serious issues viewing dark colours at the moment. May delay replys to pms. Sorry.

The Leopard Pups
Grey, Black and White. The world revolves and we go with it. Twisting in this everlasting monotony, eyes of green and gold, watching and waiting for our chance, our time. Cytor, Liliana, Serenade, Bayonet, the Prankster, the sweet one, the mother and the lost soul. There birth was a lost event, one in a million, two wandering souls met in the shadows, and these four were created. There pups are the stuff of legend, one lost there sight, one lost there path, one lost there love and the other? The other lost his family, everyone they cared about. He lost his family.
.kestral

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 am

ArchieBug wrote:

Any beardie that's going into brumation should receive a vet visit and fecal for the green light. If they have any sort of parasites in larger numbers than they should, they should not brumate as the parasites are active still and will cause excessive weight loss. As you said he's just getting over being sick and underweight I would advise against letting him brumate, especially if young. Or doing weekly weight checks, and waking him up if he begins to lose a significant amount of body weight (I'd say 7-10% for a young one)
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby miscreant.seas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:04 am

hi I'm here for reptile pictures because I can't have any
miscreant.seas

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me