Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles

Postby valiant. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Does anyone here have experience with a loose substrate mix that their gecko can dig/comfortably live in? I've decided that my first few pay checks this summer will go to upgrading my leo's set up, I would love to get her off of her paper towel. I've asked around on the tumblr community, the users I usually consult on gecko care, and they all encouraged a certain mix:
4 parts Zoo Med Excavator clay, 3 parts sand, 1 part Exo Terra Riverbed sand (finer grain), and 2 parts organic potting soil.
It seems pretty well praised and I would like to try a more natural substrate. Does anybody here have any vivariums with these sorts of substrates?
valiant.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby voe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:03 am

valiant. wrote:Does anyone here have experience with a loose substrate mix that their gecko can dig/comfortably live in? I've decided that my first few pay checks this summer will go to upgrading my leo's set up, I would love to get her off of her paper towel. I've asked around on the tumblr community, the users I usually consult on gecko care, and they all encouraged a certain mix:
4 parts Zoo Med Excavator clay, 3 parts sand, 1 part Exo Terra Riverbed sand (finer grain), and 2 parts organic potting soil.
It seems pretty well praised and I would like to try a more natural substrate. Does anybody here have any vivariums with these sorts of substrates?

The only place I would excuse loose substrate is in the lay box for pregnant females. Paper towel may not be the most natural thing, but it sure is safer. Even just having eco-earth in the lay den for a week, I've noticed differences in the stools of my females. Not a good difference. I don't like seeing loose substrate in a leopard gecko's tank any more than I like seeing cedar chips in a rat cage. Sorry if you were looking for something different, but that's my two cents.

In other news, I bred this season and here is one of my holdbacks after her first shed.
ImageImage Image Image ImageImage
'Darien' he/they femboy collector of leopard geckos

Feel free to message me about anything, even if it isn't CS related!
I'm usually happy to help with date swaps, with or without add-ons
I'm not fluent in lower rarity math so please correct me if I'm wrong

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageAKA Eibai, Nynecho, Gef, Atomsk, Glamrock Freddy, Elfo, MulaImage
voe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 am

valiant. wrote:Does anyone here have experience with a loose substrate mix that their gecko can dig/comfortably live in? I've decided that my first few pay checks this summer will go to upgrading my leo's set up, I would love to get her off of her paper towel. I've asked around on the tumblr community, the users I usually consult on gecko care, and they all encouraged a certain mix:

Not sure if I replied to your post in reptiblr or not but I can do it here lmao

I honestly like soil/sand mixes. I use them in most of my desire species vivs. Excavator clay is great, but its very hard and very expensive. Loose substates can be dangerous is done incorrectly though, there is always the risk especially with smaller species of animals. However, it does allow for natural behaviors which is very nice and great provides great enrichment opportunities.

Paper towels are good for some species of animals but are not always safe, especially for larger species of reptiles. I've heard them been recommended through bearded dragon forms for years. Most burrowing species with shred paper towels--what's stopping them from investing the pieces? Same with newspaper. While a good substate, there are a lot of drawbacks that seem to be glanced when recommending it.

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby valiant. » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:42 pm

blueh wrote:

Not sure if I replied to your post in reptiblr or not but I can do it here lmao

I honestly like soil/sand mixes. I use them in most of my desire species vivs. Excavator clay is great, but its very hard and very expensive. Loose substates can be dangerous is done incorrectly though, there is always the risk especially with smaller species of animals. However, it does allow for natural behaviors which is very nice and great provides great enrichment opportunities.

Paper towels are good for some species of animals but are not always safe, especially for larger species of reptiles. I've heard them been recommended through bearded dragon forms for years. Most burrowing species with shred paper towels--what's stopping them from investing the pieces? Same with newspaper. While a good substate, there are a lot of drawbacks that seem to be glanced when recommending it.

What sort of mix do you do? I'm not looking to do anything bio active, just natural to encourage natural behaviours. Before I bought her she lived on this dusty riverbed sand meant for turtles and it left her with only a few claws. I think she liked the idea of substrate, but was on a terrible option for that!

Maybe before I do anything I'll try a dig box, but I don't think she would grasp the idea of that at all.
I've seen lots of examples of this being done right and I plan to research until I have an appropriate and safe plan for her! Plus she eats from tongs or out of a dish, so if there's any risk of impaction from eating that would greatly lower it.
valiant.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby cswolf. » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:02 am

Someone I work with has a bearded dragon called Godzilla and I think that is one of the best names ever :D
lurkin!

CATCHING UP MY REMAINING LOLO MESSAGES <3
THANKS ALL FOR VISITING ME :)
cswolf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Not Pigeons » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:23 am

I haven't posted here in a while x'D I guess it might be time for an update.

I own two leopard geckos, I used to have three but unfortunately my giant leo, Miki, had to be put down. She had a huge hernia and had to have surgery but about a week later she pulled out her stitches while shedding and they weren't able to close up the wound. It was really, really hard to lose her </3

This is a picture of Miki

I still have a tremper albino male named Kahzoo and a giant tangerine female named Tang. I don't have a picture of Kahzoo on my computer but I have a picture of Tang

Recently, I've been considering purchasing another lizard, it'd have to be later in the year (sometime after the end of July) so I have a lot of time to think about it. I'm not 100% sure I want another leopard gecko, as much as I love them. Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm been considering an African fat tailed gecko or maybe a pair of small skinks. It'd have to be something on the smaller side, that could be comfortably kept in 29 gallon long tank (it's roughly 1.5x3x1.5 feet). I don't want something too high maintenance.
look at my dogs

Image Image
Not Pigeons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 pm

My leopard gecko Sobek went through a shed the other day, and I caught him at an interesting moment. I walked by his tank, and saw that he had pulled the skin off of his head, but it was bunched up at the top of his neck and looked a bit like a hoodie. XD
His shed went fine thankfully, no skin stuck on his toes or nose or anything. Wish I had thought to take a picture of his "hoodie" though.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby catra » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:27 pm

hi! the names ezra.
i currently have one male bp who introduced me to reptiles. ive had him for a few months and i am already in love.
i am planning for the future, and i would like to get another reptile before the end of this year.
im not sure what i should get! i dont want another snake, a leopard gecko, bearded dragon, or crested gecko.
i want something a bit different and its okay if they are a bit high-maintenence/expensive.
any suggestions?? i want to keep an open mind!
╭──────────.★..─╮
.˳·˖✶𓆩𓁺𓆪✶˖·˳.

just here to be silly :3
eli ~ adult ~ EST

feel free to say hello!

.˳·˖✶𓆩𓁺𓆪✶˖·˳.
╰─..★.───────────────╯
catra

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:31 pm

soft butch wrote:hi! the names ezra.
i currently have one male bp who introduced me to reptiles. ive had him for a few months and i am already in love.
i am planning for the future, and i would like to get another reptile before the end of this year.
im not sure what i should get! i dont want another snake, a leopard gecko, bearded dragon, or crested gecko.
i want something a bit different and its okay if they are a bit high-maintenence/expensive.
any suggestions?? i want to keep an open mind!

Blue tongue skinks are pretty neat reptiles to own. I don't have one personally, but I know people who have them and they say they love them.
Crocodile skinks are really cool, too, but they can be hard to find.
If you're up for a challenge, Jackson's chameleons are also really interesting pets. They just require a good amount of maintenance.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jayus » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Ayyy I mentioned a while back I was attempting to get permission to take in a rescue gecko
Wellll I got her!
I named her Peep, and she's currently in a 20g tank. I'm building custom stuff for her to climb on, as her mobility is impaired due to the MBD. She's only about 30g right now, but I'm working on chunking her up + getting one nasty stuck shed off :> Her favorite hides are flower pots with paper towels on the bottom for her, and she's not really a fan of exploring wide open space. Out and about, she likes to climb straight up my body (I have to lean back for it to work, but she still makes it to my shoulder) and plop down right behind my neck/on my shoulder/down sleeves and such.
Sleeve geck
SASS BABY
Skinny bean ):
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me