Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Reptiles - Geckos, Lizards, Snakes, and Turtles!

Postby SonrienteMuerte » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm so done. I'm keeping a friend's snake at my house, because I had the room and his family flipped out, so he couldn't keep it there. No big deal. Except no matter what I do to this snake's enclosure, it gets out. It's gotten out twice now, and I'm so done. I told me friend to find a new place to keep him, I can't keep doing this. None of my other snakes escape, and I'm not sure what the heck to do with this one.

I keep all my snakes in a rack by the way, and none of my others can get out unless my boyfriend messes with them without my knowledge and leaves the tubs open. Has only happened once thankfully, and it was a quick fix.
===========================================================================
.:{Sonriente Muerte}:.

"Not long ago you'd find the answers were so crystal clear
within a day you find yourself living in constant fear
Can you look at yourself now?
Can you look at yourself?
But you can't win this fight."

~Welcome to the Family ; Avenged Sevenfold

My Birthday Is Feb 13th!!
===========================================================================
SonrienteMuerte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby S1520 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:51 pm

@Blueh

Those things have the coolest tails!

Hello, never posted here before, lately I've been really into reptiles, well the thought of having a few different kinds. (I have bearded dragon.) They really are my kinda pet, along with fish and insects. Growing up I've had parakeets, and rodents. I wish I didn't, I always felt bad the birds were in a cage and the rodents were too much to maintain, I wasn't passionate about them either, just sorta a kid impulse choice.

The bearded dragon I have was actually my little sister's, she isn't confident about taking care of him or holding him, idk if she even likes him that much. But that's okay because I love him! I've found the best feeder insect for him is superworms, I've been trying to get them to morph into beetles so I can breed them but no luck, even when isolating them in a tackle box. (Felt kinda bad about that, poor wormies.) But I have one giant superworm in a dirt filled bucket in hopes he morphs. Other than that.... Oh yeah the bearded dragon substrate controversy, I've stayed safe and stuck with a liner, even tho it's ugly and unnatural. I've thought about trying excavator clay/sand but it gets really mixed reviews, many say it crumbles. And he has an ugly climby thing I made, it just seems silly to BUY driftwood. I'll go find a piece sometime.

I have a ten gallon tank, thinking of something cheaper to put in there. Not sure what though! My step dad doesn't want me to get a tarantula : ( I don't blame him though, my rough skinned newt escaped and was found dried up in my sister's underwear drawer.
S1520

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:25 pm

S1520 wrote:@Blueh

Those things have the coolest tails!

Hello, never posted here before, lately I've been really into reptiles, well the thought of having a few different kinds. (I have bearded dragon.) They really are my kinda pet, along with fish and insects. Growing up I've had parakeets, and rodents. I wish I didn't, I always felt bad the birds were in a cage and the rodents were too much to maintain, I wasn't passionate about them either, just sorta a kid impulse choice.

The bearded dragon I have was actually my little sister's, she isn't confident about taking care of him or holding him, idk if she even likes him that much. But that's okay because I love him! I've found the best feeder insect for him is superworms, I've been trying to get them to morph into beetles so I can breed them but no luck, even when isolating them in a tackle box. (Felt kinda bad about that, poor wormies.) But I have one giant superworm in a dirt filled bucket in hopes he morphs. Other than that.... Oh yeah the bearded dragon substrate controversy, I've stayed safe and stuck with a liner, even tho it's ugly and unnatural. I've thought about trying excavator clay/sand but it gets really mixed reviews, many say it crumbles. And he has an ugly climby thing I made, it just seems silly to BUY driftwood. I'll go find a piece sometime.

I have a ten gallon tank, thinking of something cheaper to put in there. Not sure what though! My step dad doesn't want me to get a tarantula : ( I don't blame him though, my rough skinned newt escaped and was found dried up in my sister's underwear drawer.

This website has lots of information on animals you can house comfortably in a 10 gallon tank.
To keep things on topic, though, let's just talk about lizards. I have a single male leopard gecko housed in a 10 gallon, and he's doing just fine in it. Leopard geckos are on the cheaper side when it comes to gecko species, and they are pretty easy to care for. Other than that, you could get an anole or two to put in it. I don't know much about anoles though, so I'm not sure how cheap or expensive their care is.
An African dwarf frog would be an interesting one to keep in your tank, too. I see them in pet stores all the time for fairly cheap, and friends of mine that keep them say they're pretty easy and cheap to care for. I've actually thought about getting one myself!

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby S1520 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm surprised there's snakes on the list, didn't think many could fit in a ten gallon. I've always liked snakes but I don't think i'd be up to feeding them mice, I wouldn't mind insects though. I guess that where I draw the line. Not sure I'd be able to access eggs.
I think the most interesting from that list would be pygmy chameleons, pacman frog, planted tank with shrimp, I think I'd rather have a 20 gallon for an axolotl. The African frogs I did have when I was a young'n! They died, I probably didn't know what I was doing : (

That page is awesome, truth is I already looked at it but I needed to refresh my memory so it was helpful, writing down so I can remember. I'm not in any hurry to fill the tank, maybe I can decide and get live plants started, but I might want a job before committing to another animal.
S1520

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Grimace » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:06 pm

a note on the dwarf frogs, please dont keep them in tanks where they always have to swim to get air. Its tiring and stressful for em.
Grimace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose; » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:46 am

S1520 wrote:I'm surprised there's snakes on the list, didn't think many could fit in a ten gallon. I've always liked snakes but I don't think i'd be up to feeding them mice, I wouldn't mind insects though. I guess that where I draw the line. Not sure I'd be able to access eggs.
I think the most interesting from that list would be pygmy chameleons, pacman frog, planted tank with shrimp, I think I'd rather have a 20 gallon for an axolotl. The African frogs I did have when I was a young'n! They died, I probably didn't know what I was doing : (

That page is awesome, truth is I already looked at it but I needed to refresh my memory so it was helpful, writing down so I can remember. I'm not in any hurry to fill the tank, maybe I can decide and get live plants started, but I might want a job before committing to another animal.

I wouldn't suggest any kind of chameleon for any sort of beginner keeper though. Not unless you have lots and lots of time to invest in research and lots of time for upkeep after you get it. they're not really the hardiest
rose;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:02 am

Grimace wrote:a note on the dwarf frogs, please dont keep them in tanks where they always have to swim to get air. Its tiring and stressful for em.

What do you mean? Like, don't keep them in deep water? They're an entirely aquatic species so I don't really understand why swimming would be stressful...

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Grimace » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Because they live in environments where they can just pop their head up to the surface instead of having to swim way up.
Swimming itself isn't stressful, but having to get up and swim a foot or so to the surface every single time they want to breathe ever is.
Grimace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Grimace wrote:Because they live in environments where they can just pop their head up to the surface instead of having to swim way up.
Swimming itself isn't stressful, but having to get up and swim a foot or so to the surface every single time they want to breathe ever is.

So how deep would you say the water should be? And would making some sort of slope with substrate or giving them something close to surface to sit on be okay? I'm planning on getting one soon once I finish doing research on them, so any tips would be appreciated! c:

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────