Design My DnD Character's Outfit For C$ and Store Pets

Find a competition to enter your artwork in, or create an art competition for others!
Forum rules
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

Design My DnD Character's Outfit For C$ and Store Pets

Postby Atwood » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm looking to find an outfit design for my new Dungeons & Dragons character, Naali, and I thought I might as well hold a little contest to get some clothing options for him. ^^

WINNER: Daepher!

What Do I Want?

First off, let me be clear that this isn't an art competition - so long as I can tell what everything is, I don't care if you drew it with a top-class tablet or by means of a potato held between your toes. X3 The design is what matters.

You also don't need to actually draw Naali himself if you don't want to - a mannequin figure is fine, too. However, in case you do want to draw him in his snazzy new outfit, here's his headshot for reference:

Now, to the all-important guidelines for what I'm looking for:

Required
  • Naali wears an arctic fox tail somewhere on his person at all times.
  • This is for a DnD campaign set in a medieval fantasy setting - think Lord of the Rings. Everything in his outfit must be reasonable for that genre.

Preferences and Helpful Info
  • Naali is a woodsman ranger, so consider that in any designs for him. His clothing needs to be relatively durable and not something that's going to be noisy or easily caught on things.
  • Naali's people generally make clothing from furs or leather, especially deer/reindeer/moose, bear, wolf, fox, lynx, etc.. They also often use wool or linen and make relatively simple clothes. However, Naali has lived in the city for a bit as well, so more complex clothing of the time is also fair game. :3
  • As a ranger, he needs to be sneaky at times - mid-to-dark clothes are generally preferable, or at least a cloak to hide lighter clothes underneath.
  • Some clothes/items Naali might need or want could include a tunic, shirt, undershirt, trousers, leather bracers/shin guards, a hood, a cloak, a hooded cloak, boots, a backpack, a hat, a vest, a quiver, gloves, a headband, an overcoat, and probably more things I've forgotten about. His outfit certainly doesn't need all of these - they're just suggestions if you're looking for ideas.

Things I Don't Want/Need
  • DON'T COPY OFF SOMETHING ELSE! I don't want him running around in Aragorn's hand-me-downs - while it's okay to use video games, movies, doll designers, etc. for inspiration and general ideas, the design should be unique as a whole.
  • I don't need armour designs beyond perhaps basic leather armour - certainly no metal armour. This is for his base costume before he starts finding cool stuff with his party in-game.
  • No weapons are needed for him beyond maybe a bow and a handaxe (his weapons of choice and the only ones he has at the moment).

PRIZES

All the prizes are C$ plus store pets from past years. You get to pick the one(s) you want from the available pool based on how you placed. :3

FIRST PLACE: 100 C$ and any one 2013 store pet OR any two 2014 store pets from the prize pool

SECOND PLACE: 50 C$ and any one 2014 store pet OR any two 2015 store pets from the prize pool

THIRD PLACE: 25 C$ and any one 2015 store pet from the prize pool

Runners-up: 20 C$

*Prize substitutions available* - if there's a particular store pet you would like that isn't in the prize pool but is in the value range of what you've won, feel free to ask AFTER the results are announced - the prize pool is only the store pets I've got extra extras of, so there is a little more variety in my Store Pets trade group that I might be willing to swap in on request. :3

Also, if you would rather have a prize of all C$ rather than getting a store pet, that can be substituted at the C$ value of the single pet, so first place could get a total of 145 C$, second could get 90 C$ and third could get 60 C$. And no, you can't go for the two-pet option and then replace those two pets with C$!

Prize pool examples include:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rules

• No copying someone else's character design or using someone else's art as your entry
  • Please don't ask to substitute any pets *before* you know if you've won something.
  • You may enter multiple designs, which will each be separate entries and could potentially win multiple prizes
  • If you use a lineart for anything (including as a base mannequin), you must link and credit the original artist when you post your entry.
  • If your outfit wins a prize, that particular costume design will belong to me and is not to be reused as a whole for any other characters you may own or make. However, if it doesn't get a prize, feel free to reuse it elsewhere as you like. :3 Just chop Naali's head off the design if you had him actually wearing the clothes.

End Date: October 15
(May be extended depending on entries or lack thereof)
Atwood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Design My DnD Character's Outfit For C$ and Store Pets

Postby cocogerber13 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Mark for if I have time
cocogerber13

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WatermelonBear » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:26 pm

I would so enter but I cant do humans or clothes for the life of me.
My last d&d ranger Fus, died tragically in the hands of dwarfs (they were drunk), so I wish you and Naali luck for the adventure ahead. XD

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Toyhou.se | Polizeihunde's | The NPHA | Deviant Art
Almost never on CS anymore, You can find me on DA :3
Artist Credits
WatermelonBear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lannister » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:20 am

https://sta.sh/0hccl1ju82n
Just to talk through the design breathily , the shoulder pads and wrist cuffs are re-enforced leather, specifically deer hide , the main outfit also has a built in hood ( can't be seen in drawing) I have also ( as you requested ) have included an arctic fox tail witch can be seen used as a scarf wrapped around the neck in my design however it can be attached to the shoulder pads in the summer or in a hot climate.

As for inspiration I have taken your advice and looked at the original concept designs for attire seen in the lord of the rings
The main aspects I have used are the under clothes and shoulder pads however I have still tried to keep it unique by adding in my own touches such as the embroidery on the leather vest.

That's a basic run though of my design, if you'd like any more information just ask , thank you for giving me this opportunity and I hope you have a lovely day/ night
lannister

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ._.savvy._. » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:43 am

Mark, maybe I'll do this :3
edit: I'm not gonna do this, WAY to lazy XD
Last edited by ._.savvy._. on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
i never get on here anymore but when i do it's just to organize stuff as a distraction
._.savvy._.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Caeleesi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am

mark bc DnD is my new favourite thing and my lil tiefling rogue has a similair outfit to what a ranger would
might try this later.
Last edited by Caeleesi on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local Skeleton Queen
DA || || TH || ©
ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ ᴄᴏᴍᴇꜱ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴅᴜʀɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏ
©
ᴘʀᴇᴠɪᴏᴜꜱʟʏ ᴠʀɪꜱᴋᴇʙᴀʙ ʙ)
Caeleesi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Atwood » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:21 am

The competition end date was actually the 15th, so technically it's over now, but if you'd still like to submit a design I'd be happy to consider it as a second outfit for him with the same prize setup as the competition. :3

As for the competition, the winner is Daepher! ^^ Congrats, and thank you! Let me know which pet(s) you want from the prize pool and I'll send them over with your C$. :3 I really liked this outfit right off the bat and have had Naali wearing it in-game, with a couple modifications so the design would still work with his leather armour, so this is his current character portrait:
Naali rescale.png
Naali rescale.png (526.51 KiB) Viewed 616 times

(Background paper texture is a free download from Sycra Yasin's Resources art page)
Atwood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me