▆▇█ ▌How to Train your Dragon FC ▌█▇▆ -NEW POLL Nov/9/23-

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

What How to train your Dragon games have you played?

School of Dragons (Rip in pieces)
22%
Rise of Berk (App)
30%
Titan Uprising (App)
26%
Dawn of the Dragon riders (Switch)
9%
Legends of the Nine realms (Switch)
No votes
How to train your dragon 1 (All platforms)
9%
How to train your dragon 2 (All platforms)
4%
Other games (Apparently there's a lot? Discuss!)
No votes

Total votes : 23

Re: ▆▇█ ▌How to Train your Dragon FC ▌█▇▆ -NEW POLL Jul/7/17

Postby kiffell » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am

uhhh hey
sorry to drop in suddenly but i purchased a new night fury OC! His name is Munin, and i'd really like to roleplay with him if anyone wants to PM me?

- - - - - -
mangroveclan (stars) | cactusclan (stars)
- - - - - -
im no longer active on cs, if you want to talk/need to contact me please do so through discord or TH!
kiffell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lostmelody. » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

Finally, a HTTYD Fanclub! I'm so hyped!

Username: . m u f f e t .(...)
Nickname: Muffet or Muff(Is there anything you'd prefer to be called?)
Movies, Books, Or both?: Movies(Which have you seen/read?)
Favourite Character(s)?:(Can be from Movies, books, or series.)
Favourite Moment: Gah, just every moment from the first movie. (Can be from Movies, books, or series.)
Least Favourite Moment: The death of Stoick in the second movie(Can be from Movies, books, or series.)

***Note: This next portion of the Form is purely optional, and will not affect your acceptance into the FC.

School of Dragons Username:
School of Dragons Character: (Multiple characters may be listed)
Font from 1001 Fonts
Cool Person: X

Hey, hey! My name's lostmelody., but you can call me Lost, Mel, or Melody!

I'm in the following fandoms:
Undertale, Wings Of Fire, Foxcraft,
Warrior Cats, Pokemon, and MLP!
You can find me on Scratch as
M_E_T_T_A_T_O_N and on Goatlings as lost_firefly.
My previous username was . m u f f e t!.

I'm an artist, animator and writer! I also enjoy
roleplaying and playing videogames with my friends!

lostmelody.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:11 am

Be that season 6 I see on Netflix?
atlas // they/them
if you ever need someone to talk to my dms are always open
stay safe, be kind, and have a great day!
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Noni Gailin Ayrenin~ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:49 am

Ah, I'm sorry Ive been so absent!
I'm sure I've mentioned before that working is kicking my butt these days.

I finally got to watch the new season!!
I'd like to talk about it, but I wanna know where everyone is at with it first.
Image -...-...-...-ImageImage922,931Image203Image-...-...-...-Image

My Dragon Cave Thread
_____________________________________________________________________________________
ImageImageImageImageImage
"....I wish it'd start rainin' money."
Websites to find me on: wrote:
Chicken Smoothie

Flight Rising
Eldemore
Beast Keeper
Wajas

**Lioden
Imagex 492 (M) Imagex 543 (S)
** Lioden is not linked as it is a 16+ Website, however I did still want to list it as something I'm on.

Noni Gailin Ayrenin~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Noni,

I've finished and re-watched the new season by now. Also, if you're stressed out, chill. You don't need to reply instantly, or even every day. Also, the new season, though riddled with historical inaccuracy, is pretty good. I really liked the whole "what-if" part of that one episode.

but I don't like that every non-white character becomes or is a villain
atlas // they/them
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Noni Gailin Ayrenin~ » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:50 pm

The "What if" episode was good,
yeah. Although seeing Hiccup in his old outfit was.... Weird. And I have to say that setting the movie quality flashbacks next to the rest of the series was maybe a not so smart move on them. Kind of highlights the difference a bit more than necessary Imo.

What interests me is the fact that every main bad guy from RTTE was killed off. Dagur and Alvin got turned around, so they were spared, but ryker, Viggo, krogan, and even Johann were all met with gruesome fates. I mean, I suppose we can't have them /all/ running around at the same time as Drago, but (and excuse the pun) it seems a bit of over kill, hm?

My Dragon Cave Thread
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Chicken Smoothie

Flight Rising
Eldemore
Beast Keeper
Wajas

**Lioden
** Lioden is not linked as it is a 16+ Website, however I did still want to list it as something I'm on.

Noni Gailin Ayrenin~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Yeah, the whole "will they, won't they (die)" thing got a little tiresome. Also, heck? Why Johann? The part that really bothered me about the villains was that I can't name a single POC who isn't or wasn't a villain.

And on that note, here's my rant about race in RTTE and HTTYD as a whole.

Let's talk about the second movie, because there were, oh right, zero non-white characters in the first. The only non-white character in the second movie was also voiced by the only black person in the cast: Drago, played by Djimon Hounsou. Yeah, he looks villain-y because scars and evil expressions, but also, he's ethnically ambiguous enough to definitely not be white and sports dark dreads uncommon to non-black people. This suggests that at one point, the "black but not too black" conversation was had. Really, people?

Now on to the show. Name one person from Berk (excluding Johann, because he's just a travelling boat dude) that isn't white. Does Heather come to mind? Probably. She doesn't look very Scandinavian. Brown hair isn't uncommon, even very dark, but her hair has the black color that is pretty much only found in brown, black, and East Asian people. She doesn't look brown or black, so let's think about East Asian. Narrow eyes, pale skin, and green eyes. Wait, green? Unlikely. Still possible, though. Some people, especially in northern Japan, can have light eyes. Most likely, though, Heather and her weird eyeliner job in ROB/DOB season 1 are just white. Suspecting that she's not is a bit too much of a stretch, especially since Dagur, though he's not pasty like she is, is definitely white.

And now, villains.

Viggo and Dagur are white. No questions there. Ryker, white. Note that Ryker was never as much a main villain as Viggo and Dagur, and while Dagur is a good guy now, Viggo was the big bad viking.

But Johann is decidedly not white. He looks to be Middle-Eastern. Makes sense: Johann is a Yiddish name, i.e. Israel, and, at that time, people there were not very pale. Why did he have to be a villain? Because it was unexpected. Okay. There are other characters that could have been villains. Savage already had his spotlight, but suddenly becoming a mastermind would have been a plot twist. And none of the characters we saw in 2 could have been villains, but that leaves people like Mildew (the grumpy old sheep guy) or Alvin. Mildew and Savage might not be strong choices, but Alvin would have been a wrench in the Riders' plans. He would have been an unexpected villain. And yeah, Johann was a good and easy choice. But really? The only non-white good guy?

Then we come upon Krogan. He was a cool villain. Awesome. Total boss. Could have been better, but eh. Never explained his bond with his Singetail, though his death did really show how super evil Drago was. I've already done my spiel on Drago, so time for Krogan. Also voiced by a black voice actor. Doesn't look white, doesn't sound Scandinavian. He's also super evil for seemingly no reason other than he's getting paid. This whole "evil because I said so" thing probably isn't intended to be racist, but it still is. Why can white characters not be evil "just because"? Viggo thirsts for knowledge. Ryker is kind of a jerk, but he wants power. Drago is just super evil. No explanation whatsoever. Johann is... tired of Stoic? Johann's either a kindergartner with those mood swings or just really evil 'cause why not. And Krogan is... greedy. These aren't looking all that good, folks.

Not to mention basically the only villain in SoD, Nikora Stormheart. Her first name sounds kind of like "Nikola", which is Russian, so okay, fine, but... she's either brown or black. And she's evil because... she's manipulative and is the only character that wears sandals instead of boots? Um? She's also in the group of "evil for the hell of it". While this is usually a sign of lazy writing or too many cooks in the kitchen, it's also a sign of total lack of faith in the villains. Dagur and Viggo get complicated backstories and reasons for everything, and they (Viggo sort of) get their reforming arcs. Yes, they're both deranged (pun intended), but the white villains always get a reason, and the non-white villains (which, let's be honest, are the only POCs in the franchise), have about as much reason as a first grader.

Honestly, it's degrading. White characters are seldom villains, and always get a reason for doing evil deeds because only Viggo gets to just BE evil. Every non-white character is a villain at one point or another, and how many of them got reasons and reforming arcs? That's right, none.

Like, I love the movies and show and all, and they're great with representing disabled people (Hiccup/Toothless, Gobber, Bucket & Mulch {Mulch has brain damage!}, Gothi {she's mute!}, and assorted others), but where's the cool characters to look up to for people of color? Where's the token black guy, at least? Nowhere? That's so far out of the ball park you'd need a satellite to find it.

In summary, heck.
atlas // they/them
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Noni Gailin Ayrenin~ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm gonna try my best here, so please bear with me because i'm not great at topics like this, and I tend to be a bit overly blunt.

Can we berate Dreamworks for not having a good poc character in the httyd franchise? Yes. Sure. Go for it.
The problem is, httyd and the subsequent series' were planned /way/ in advance. Dreamworks couldn't have planned for the recent sets of movements. When gay rights became a big thing, it was easy for them to slip in Gobber's "This, and one other reason" line, because it was mostly just dialogue and a little bit of animation.

When adding a poc character? Well, that's designs, that's finding VA's, that honestly really is the "How black do we make them?" conversation, because nobody wants to step over lines and do something offensive. It's why none of my OCs are any darker than the mild tan, because if I give them a trait that I feel is true to the character, I could have people hoppin' on me for it if it's also a stereotype.

But Dreamworks has gotten better about it. You've got 4 canon good POCs in Voltron. Allura, Alfor, Lance, and Hunk are all on the good side there. Voltron is breaking barriers in ways that frankly, it was a bit to late for dreamworks to do with httyd.

My Dragon Cave Thread
Chicken Smoothie

Flight Rising
Eldemore
Beast Keeper
Wajas

**Lioden

Noni Gailin Ayrenin~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AtlasHyperion » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:26 am

Noni

That's entirely true. I still don't like that it's the case, but yeah, Dreamworks is trying. It's just kind of frustrating, ya know? And yeah, Gobber's line is awesome. But still, Johann didn't need to be evil, in my opinion. I just don't like him being a villain, because I feel like it came out of nowhere. And yet the SoD villain still stands, because that was, like, six months ago, long after the release of movie 2, when everyone was like "hey stop making all the POCs evil pls thx", so even if they had rough sketches of Nikora then, they still could have changed that. I'm really just bothered by the fact that their villains keep being evil just because. All of the non-Viggo villains are pretty one-dimensional. Krogan, Drago, Nikora, Johann, they're just evil. No reason. And that kind of plot hole bothers me? How 'bout you?
atlas // they/them
AtlasHyperion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Noni Gailin Ayrenin~ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:48 am

Well, If we go digging in the Story, Stoick's flashback of the summit where Drago showed up had him sayings things about the dragons destroying everything he loved. So he wants to control them, so show them that they are just the dumb beasts the archipelago made them out to be at that point in time. So, Johann was probably either working with Drago like Krogan was (and planned to get away from himself to 1-up Drago), Or Johann had his own issue with Dragons that we weren't shown.

I wouldn't know much about the SoD character.
I've sort of stopped playing for the most part, but I may throw myself back into it later.

My Dragon Cave Thread
Chicken Smoothie

Flight Rising
Eldemore
Beast Keeper
Wajas

**Lioden

Noni Gailin Ayrenin~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me