.:: Venus Fly Trap Fan Club! ::.

Join or create fan clubs about your favorite things!

.:: Venus Fly Trap Fan Club! ::.

Postby folle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:16 am

The Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea muscipula)
The Venus Fly Trap is an awesome plant famous for its carnivorous diet. It uses its nectar to lure bugs into its traps, which then close and digest the bug.
Seriously. A vicious, meat-eating plant. You can feel yourself longing to join this club already, can't you?

Code: Select all
I want to join!
Username:

And that's about all we need to know. Except- wait!

I want to join!
Username:
Do you have a Venus Fly Trap?:
If no to the above, do you want one?:
If no to the above, do you like them?:
If no to the above, are you at all interested in them?:
If no to the above, why are you here?:
If you said yes a long time ago, thanks for joining!

Now for some cool Venus Fly Trap stuff! Sit back and enjoy!

Venus Fly Trap Care
Have a Fly Trap, but don't know where to go from here? Here's what to do!
- If it's not already in one, put your Trap in a pot with "bad" dirt in it- high quality dirt is bad for the Trap. Use peat moss and perlite, or buy ready-made Venus Fly Trap dirt. Don't fertilize your plant.
- Next step is water. The Trap is highly sensitive to chemicals- don't use tap water. Rainwater is best, but distilled water will work. Keep the dirt wet at all times but don't let the plant be in standing water. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that during the dormancy period you should just keep watering it as usual? Edit: Thank you Lonin, who says that Traps should be kept drier in the cold)
- Now light. Traps need as much light as you can get them during their growing period. 12 to 14 hours if possible. Placing your plant at a south-facing window is best.
- Humidity next. Venus Fly Traps thrive in climates with 50% + humidity. If you don't live in a place that humid, fill a evenly tray with pebbles, then fill the tray with water to the point where the top of the pebbles are just out of the water. Then put your plant on top of these pebbles.
- Finally, what we've all been waiting for, food. Venus Fly Traps catch their own food, so no need to worry. They eat about 2 or 3 bugs a month, and that is all they need. Their traps will remain closed several days (? Is it days or weeks? I'm forgetting) to digest the bug, then open again.

Venus Fly Trap Don'ts
- Don't tease the traps but triggering them falsely. While highly amusing, it takes a lot of energy to snap those traps closed, and the poor plant will die if you exercise it without letting it eat.
- Don't feed it raw meat. The plant will rot.
- When in the fall, you see it dying, don't throw it away, it's merely entering its dormancy cycle. See FAQ below.

Venus Fly Trap Photos
A healthy Venus Fly Trap. Note the good red color. The redder the inside of a Venus Fly Trap, the healthier the Trap (usually).
A Venus Fly Trap entering its dormancy stage. Notice the black ends.
A Venus Fly Trap eating. *evil cackle*
A Venus Fly Trap flower. Some plants flower in the spring. If you see these flowers, it is best to clips them off, because they drain the plant's energy to grow.

Venus Fly Trap FAQ
Q: My Venus Fly Trap is turning brown/black and appears to be dying. Why?
A: Traps have a dormant cycle during the winter, and all or most of their foliage and traps die. Keep the plant in a cool place during this cycle, and after three or four months it will begin growing a bit. You can resume its normal care when it hits this point.
Q: My climate doesn't suite Venus Fly Traps. Does this mean I shouldn't own one?
A: Not at all. You can create the ideal climate with the right materials. Temperature can be controlled by putting the plant in a certain room where it is warmer or cooler, the humidity can be replicated in the fashion I described up in "Venus Fly Trap Care", and since Traps are indoor plants, you don't have to worry about the weather.
Q: Where can I buy a Venus Fly Trap?
A: Online (Amazon.com) or at an exotic plant store. Some regular stores have them, too (I saw them at a Home Depot). I got mine at Nick's Garden Center.

Venus Fly Trap Funny Stuff!
Nothing yet! This is terrible! It must be fixed! Post your funny Venus Fly Trap jokes/pictures so I can put them up here!

Join the Venus Fly Trap Club and have fun with fellow Venus Fly Trap owners or lovers! Ask advice or just chat!

Members:
[] folle [] (creator and topic police- not that we'll need one, hopefully!)
Idiocy (helped create the club)
Camo, The Creeper
Lonin
Laura87751

You forgot something! (Post what I should add to the front page!)
You should add:
Last edited by folle on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
cool
folle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: .:: Venus Fly Trap Fan Club! ::.

Postby Ditzy Doo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:24 am

I want to join!
Username:
Camo the Creeper
YES!!

-
-
-
Last edited by Ditzy Doo on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quitting.
Ditzy Doo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Idiocy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:25 am

Ohmygoodness.
This is fantastic.
:'D

I want to join!
Username:
Idiocy
Yess~! And I want more. <3

P.S.
Omg, okay so that picture where they're going into the dormancy stage, that's what mine looks like but it's summer! I'm so confused...

Emma Stone wrote:Y'know when you think, 'I can't do something because this or this or this.' You can actually do anything you want, like I could ballistic right now and tear this whole room apart, I could but I'm not going to because logic is stopping me, but you can do whatever you want.
You really can veer off any path at any time.
Never give up!

Image Image
{ I'm not gonna' be online for possibly a couple weeks. I'll be back soon enough, though~ <3 }
Idiocy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby folle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:03 am

Camo, The Creeper wrote:
I want to join!
Username:
Camo the Creeper
No :(
YUS.
-
-
-

Yay new member!

Idiocy wrote:
Ohmygoodness.
This is fantastic.
:'D

I want to join!
Username:
Idiocy
Yess~! And I want more. <3

P.S.
Omg, okay so that picture where they're going into the dormancy stage, that's what mine looks like but it's summer! I'm so confused...

Yay another member! XD You can have partial credit for creation of the club, you helped me come up with the idea.

Has your summer been super cold? Or like have you had the air conditioning on in your house? Maybe the Trap got cold and decided, "Well, must be time to go dormant." I dunno xD
cool
folle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby folle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:45 am

OH MY GOSH GUYS! Screw my birthday, I may possibly be getting my very first Venus Fly Trap... THIS EVENING!

So excited. This is so weird, it's like I'm going to go adopt a new pet or something xD
cool
folle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:17 am

I want to join!
Username: Lonin
Do you have a Venus Fly Trap?: Several, as well as plenty of other carnivorous plants :D (Sarracenia, drosera, utricularia, pinguicula)

During dormancy generally keep it drier than normal due to the risk of rot or mold. If it's cold keep it drier. :D Fly traps like being slightly damp more than being wet all the time, if in a tray let the tray dry out completely before adding more water. ^^
They can also survive being frozen. XD

Pots should also be at least 6 inches deep but the bigger the better. :3
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby folle » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:44 am

Lonin wrote:I want to join!
Username: Lonin
Do you have a Venus Fly Trap?: Several, as well as plenty of other carnivorous plants :D (Sarracenia, drosera, utricularia, pinguicula)

During dormancy generally keep it drier than normal due to the risk of rot or mold. If it's cold keep it drier. :D Fly traps like being slightly damp more than being wet all the time, if in a tray let the tray dry out completely before adding more water. ^^
They can also survive being frozen. XD

Pots should also be at least 6 inches deep but the bigger the better. :3

Thanks for the info and for joining :)
cool
folle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:16 am

Yaaaay. :D

Anyone have any other types of carnivorous plant? :) Or any cool fly trap cultivars? :O
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby folle » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:30 am

[] folle [] wrote:OH MY GOSH GUYS! Screw my birthday, I may possibly be getting my very first Venus Fly Trap... THIS EVENING!

So excited. This is so weird, it's like I'm going to go adopt a new pet or something xD

YAYY! I got my Trap :D Her name's Vinnie, I'll put up pictures later xD I built her this absolutely perfect home from total junk in the basement that would have otherwise been trash.
She doesn't look fantastic, she's tiny for one thing and for another I had to trim some dead traps. Also, most of her traps are closed, does this mean they were triggered by accident (I think I might have done that when I took her out of the packaging *wince*) or is she just still growing?
Anyways. Definitely posting pictures soon.

Edit: Pictures!!
This is Vinnie. She's kind of small, one of her traps is wilting, I just bought her and then transplanted her right away. She's not her best looking right now xD Silly plant.
Here's her home, which as you can see is doing an efficient job keeping the humidity up xD
cool
folle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Yaaaay Vinnie looks awesome. :D She looks very healthy. ^^
Looks like most of her traps closed accidentally, which happening once is completely fine. XD All mine end up eating peat and perlite when I repot them and they're fine. ^^ Most traps are capable of closing several times before they die, and when they're triggered accidentally they'll just reopen in a few days.

I'd say the dome isn't necessary and might even eventually cause rot or fungus (that definately looks too humid :B). Unless you live somewhere really, really, really dry she should be able to adapt to lower humidity and grow just fine. They're definately hardy outside plants rather than terrarium ones.

If possible you might want to grow her outside, she'll be much happier if it's summer. ^^ Although make sure to introduce her slowly or her leaves will burn (which she'd probably survive, Lonin is ruthless and lets them burn then regrow XD), giving her a few hours of light in a morning/evening and over a few weeks letting her stay out longer. ^^

Have fun. :D
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me