Bandit's Cosplay Guide - Tips, Discussion + More!

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: Bandit's Cosplay Guide - Tips, Discussion + More!

Postby Rose63673 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:12 am

I know a lot of people swear by sharpies and as long as the current wig color isn't darker than the color you are going for that should be a good method for you. On my screen it looks like it may work but try this on a part you plan on cutting to just make sure if you want to be careful. One big problem though is that I have heard that the sharpie can rub off onto clothes.
Image Image
ImageImage
Hi all, I only come on every so often nowdays as I am busy with college but I will try to reply but it will take a few days.
My Viscets, Kalon's, Juymara's, and Ryuami's
Rose63673

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MelMellyMel » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Is there any chance that this thread could potentially be revived? I'd love some tips on cosplay, but if no one is active on this thread anymore I won't bother asking. :"P
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏl ᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Hi, I'm just your average obsessed teenaged fan.
My interests include, but aren't limited to, Game
of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire, Pokémon, Harry Potter,
Overwatch, bands, and youtubers! Pm me if you
want to discuss any of those things. I don't care what
pronouns you use for me, I'm also asexual and
panromantic if you were wondering. Well, that's all I can think
to say for now, hope you're having a great day/night!
*insert DC eggs here*
Maybe click these guys if you have time?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ lᴛʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇɴ'ᴛ l▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Farasis My Kalons link credit
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴘᴀʏɪɴɢ ᴀᴛᴛᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
x
MelMellyMel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HermitCrab » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:32 pm

What do y'all need help with? I'm an active cosplayer I work with sewing, worbla, and polystyrene with dremel mostly so if you need tips on that stuff I can help!

please click my dragons!
HermitCrab

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zexalii » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:22 am

I've always wanted to get into cosplaying but I'm still not sure where to start. Also, does anybody have any tips on if a female wanted to cosplay a male character?
Vector • he/it • adult
Zexalii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MelMellyMel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 am

Firestrike! wrote:I've always wanted to get into cosplaying but I'm still not sure where to start. Also, does anybody have any tips on if a female wanted to cosplay a male character?

I am by no means an expert (the exact reason I posted on this thread in the first place), but for cosplaying a male character as a female I recommend using a binder! NEVER use ace bandages, and remember to not wear a binder for too long. If you can't get a binder, a sports bra can work as well. Beyond that, you can do as much or as little as you want. You can use makeup to look more convincing, add facial hair, etc. It really depends on the character you're trying to portray.

-

I plan on cosplaying as Uta from Tokyo Ghoul for Anime Expo 2020 (it's a long ways away, I know), and have been stumped on what I should do for his hair. I know I'm going to use a wig, but the fact that part of his head is shaved proves to be a problem. I've seen wigs where the shaved part is replaced with white or gray hair, and I just don't like the effect it gives off. I've considered making a partial wig by cutting off the area that is shaved, and pairing it with a latex bald cap that I can modify, but I have no idea if that'll be effective or not. Finally, I've just considered cutting down the side of a wig to give the silhouette of a shaved head.

Does anyone have experience cosplaying a character with a partially shaved head? If so, what did you do for their hair? Did you use some type of wig, or did you just concede to shaving your own head? I'd really like to learn from other people's experiences if possible to utilize in my own cosplay.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏl ᴇɴᴅɪɴɢ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Hi, I'm just your average obsessed teenaged fan.
My interests include, but aren't limited to, Game
of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire, Pokémon, Harry Potter,
Overwatch, bands, and youtubers! Pm me if you
want to discuss any of those things. I don't care what
pronouns you use for me, I'm also asexual and
panromantic if you were wondering. Well, that's all I can think
to say for now, hope you're having a great day/night!
*insert DC eggs here*
Maybe click these guys if you have time?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ lᴛʜᴇɴ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇɴ'ᴛ l▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Farasis My Kalons link credit
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴘᴀʏɪɴɢ ᴀᴛᴛᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
x
MelMellyMel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zexalii » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:20 am

@above
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for the future :)

I'm thinking of doing Wendy Marvel from Fairy Tail but I have no clue where to start. Where is a good place to get long, dark blue wigs? And any tips on sewing dress or clothes in general? Whenever I sew, some of the seams come undone
Vector • he/it • adult
Zexalii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Jaded » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:30 pm

@ everyone asking about wigs,
I like http://www.arda-wigs.com. They are thick, look realistic, aren't expensive, don't tangle, and are on the larger side which is a plus if you have a big head or a lot of hair.

@MelMellyMel,
wigs aren't my area of expertise so I'd try googling for solutions but the partial bald cap is what I'd think would be the answer.

Firestrike!,
I'd suggest following a pattern if you've never sewn a dress before. When I first started off, I would trace my clothes to make patterns but since I didn't know the mechanics of clothing, a lot of things I made looked wonky. Fabric stores sell nice patterns with instructions. If you live in the US (idk if this store exists in other countries?), Joann's fabric has specials on patterns sometimes where patterns cost $1. I like to check their website occasionally to see when they have these specials and stock up on patterns. You can also check online to find free patterns to print but a lot of them have Japanese instructions so I wouldn't recommend them for beginners. This site has some good ones http://www.dr-cos.info. As for clothes unraveling, there could be a lot of explanations for your problem but the most likely cause is that you're not finishing the seam properly for the type of fabric you're using or you're sewing too close to the edge. Here's an article that explains it pretty well https://www.thespruce.com/control-frayi ... ng-2977625.

(If anyone has any questions about sewing that they want me to explain more thoroughly, feel free to pm me. I'm trying to start a fashion blog and so your questions would be great to make posts and tutorials about tbh.)
ImageImage
ImageImage
~Jaded

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me