Least favorite book

Games, Movies, TV, YouTube, Books and Music - discuss it all here!

Re: worst book ever

Postby Pyjaks » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm

I think I agree with whoever mentioned Eragon. When I first read those novels (or the ones that were published at the time, anyways) I was around 9 or 10 and thought they were amazing. Then a few years ago I went to reread them for the nostalgia value and they just...left a lot to be desired. I think it's very obvious upon reflection that Paolini was a teenager when he wrote these books. His writing is phenomenal for someone who was so young at the time, but the plot devices, characters, and more nuanced details led to a book that left a lot to be desired. There is very obvious growth throughout the series, but ultimately they're some of the more subpar books I've read. Definitely overrated imo (but then I understand why people love them, because they filled a niche that few other books were filling at the time, aka child friendly but also mature high fantasy novels with dragons and elves and all that good stuff, lol). The books still hold a special place in my heart, for all their flaws.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Viktor » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:45 am

It's a comic book, but oh my I can't hold in my hatred for mars

The story isn't the worst, but the art style throws everything off. It just looks rushed, the backrounds are extremely basic
and add nothing to the setting,the characters don't really fit in to the setting and everything just looks ridiculous. I can't really
take any of the characters seriously since some of their expressions don't make sense and the "serious" parts in the book actually look hillarious.

I was reading the inside cover and publishers actually acknowledge that the art is ridiculous! It goes to say that the story makes up for the art style, but it really doesn't, compared to other comic books where artists actually tried to make the art ad the story fit together, mars does a terrible job at this.

this is the cover to one of the few i have, it just puts me off..

text text text text
text text text text
text text text text
text text text text
text text text text
text text text text
Viktor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lapidot.univrs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:54 am

I can't think of any bad books that I've read, but the most confusing to me is the sword art online manga because there's like 3 different kinds and they don't really follow the original story from what I saw
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Heya, I'm Jasper, it's not my real name of course, I just prefer it
I have a lot of mental issues, especially trust issues, so, if you wanna befriend me but you know you're just gonna leave later on then just, don't bother, I've gone through this enough times to not trust anyone anymore, I can't even trust my IRL friends that much really
Anyway, I'm like, 14, trying not to die while fangirling over my favourite things (Steven Universe and Shane), I love conspiracy theories and lapidot.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Image x Image

Image x Image
lapidot.univrs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lazy Onion » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Ender's Game. People kept talking about how great it was and when I finally read it I was so bored?

And maybe The Pearl because it was confusing and the ending was garbage.

IMPORTANT: I am not active on CS anymore and have lost interest in collecting *most* CS pets. BUT that does not mean that the pets that I already have are for free. They still have value to me. DO NOT ASK ME FOR FREE PETS. PLEASE TRADE FAIRLY!
Hello I'm Awesome Opossum! I speak English and use she/her pronouns. Have a nice day!
Dralon Flock
Lazy Onion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Estarya » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:00 am

I'm not really a huge fan of the Divergent trilogy. I think the idea/concept was interesting but the actual execution of the idea was lacking.
Estarya

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeanutButterRum » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:12 am

Let me tell you how salty I was about the Hunger games, the series wasn't bad till the last book for me. I actually enjoyed the first two quite a lot but the last one was painful to read and I only was able to get half way through. Maybe it was the age I was when I read it to be honest, maybe I will retry it.

But the real reason I am here is the Host. I had never destroyed a book before but for some reason I got so angry with the writing of this book that I physically ripped it apart. The story confused me and the writing was bland. Interesting idea, I love stories like it but the way she went about writing it was a huge turn off for me
PeanutButterRum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby charrington » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm

This is probably a flawed opinion because I haven't completed the book, but The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is the closest I've come to disliking a classic. I remember trying to read it once in eighth grade and being so bored by the author's writing style that I just gave up on it after a while. It turned out to be a pretty terrible decision, though, since I eventually spoiled myself on the plot and found out that it was actually fairly interesting. I might actually give it a second chance when I have time, but I'm not too confident about how I'll deal with Hawthorne's prose two years later.

Romeo and Juliet is also one that bothers me, but mostly just due to the pacing. I know that it was probably due to practical reasons (dragging out the play would've bored the audience), but the character arcs felt really rushed and kind of flat to me for some reason. I also dislike both Romeo and Juliet and ended up liking the nurse and Mercutio more than either of them...
we shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.
---
rusty // any pronouns (she/they most common) // adult // aro ace // INTJ // classic lit + biology enthusiast
charrington

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Something Diabolical » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 pm

butter rum wrote:But the real reason I am here is the Host. I had never destroyed a book before but for some reason I got so angry with the writing of this book that I physically ripped it apart. The story confused me and the writing was bland. Interesting idea, I love stories like it but the way she went about writing it was a huge turn off for me

I laughed out loud at this. I've never been mad enough to physically tear apart a book but if I did it would probably have been a Stephanie Meyer book. Lol

I had to read Robinson Crusoe last semester for a literature class and I did not like it. The sentences are sometimes a half-page or page long and the main character is racist. I think it's going on my Worst Book list.

you can call me Blue~

"No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
Almost, at times, the Fool."

-from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - T.S. Eliot

my lair
Something Diabolical

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blueberry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:05 pm

The Young Elites is probably the worst book I've ever read. I found the ending to be very disappointing and the protagonist is immature and makes horrible decisions. (And not the funny kind, either)
Blueberry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bertholdt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Most likely Need by Joelle Charbonneau- I don't know why but I hated it, along with Flush and Hoot by carl Hiaasen.
They have good meanings they just got boring the more I read into them/
bertholdt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me