*DISCONTINUED* Rares List Guide (1 March 2019)

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

What would you personally like to see done with the Rares List?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am

1. Maintain - keep the Rares List the same but update pet values.
11%
2. Restructure - vote on ways to majorly update, restructure or rebuild the Rares List.
40%
3. Retire - discontinue the list and stop updating it.
44%
4. Undecided - don't know but show me the poll results
4%

Total votes : 1731

*DISCONTINUED* Rares List Guide (1 March 2019)

Postby Thovatos » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:18 am

1 March 2019 - Please post here with any question you have about this discontinuation of the list!

Please Read Before Continuing!

Overview
"The" Rares List Guide was originally created in 2010 by users who wanted to help the community see what CS's most valuable pets were going for in the trade market. Pet values were determined by a combination of rarity and demand. The Rares List became widely used and became so prominent that users treated the List's values as if they were official values. This gave rise to a host of problems, many of which were brought to light in late 2016 and early 2017. In early 2019, following the January 2019 rarity calculation update, many users voiced their concerns that the List had become inaccurate, and so a poll was held for 2 weeks to decide the fate of the Rares List.

What does this mean?

This list is closed to any further updates and discussions, meaning pet placements will no longer be updated. You are still welcome to reference for trading, general information gathering, etc. if you wish to do so. You are free to value your pets as you choose, choose which guides you'd like to reference, and work out a trade with your trading partner based on the values the two of you agree upon.

Does this make "list pets" less rare/valuable? I thought my Sunjewel is worth 10,000 '09 rares..

This all depends on if a user you trade uses the same guides for trading that you do. If not, it might be best to find out what the user values their pet at!

Please see this post for additional information!

Welcome to "The" Rares List
Please read all the following information below! The answers to most of your questions CAN be found here!

Index:
Poll post - Discussions List - Main information post - Recent Updates - Main's List - September's List - Advent's List - FAQ - Gap's list - Important Links - Pictured Main's List 1 - Pictured Main's List 2 - Pictured September's List - Pictured Advent's List
Last edited by Thovatos on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:14 am, edited 76 times in total.
Thovatos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Current discussion list

Postby Thovatos » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:22 am

If Using the List for Trading, Please Read This Information First:

The pets listed in red are significantly out of place following their rarity increase to omg so rare from very rare during the rarity overhaul in early 2019. If using this list for trading, it is advised not to trade them off at the value that are currently listed:

UR Butterbun
Joker Bunny
UR Ice Cat
Rainbow Mane
Orange Cerberus
Light Speckled Rat
Medium Speckled Rat
Heavy Speckled Rat
Dark Heart Rat
Blue Dragon PPS
Lime Ice Rat
Dark Pawprint Rat
Light Pawprint Rat
Light Heart Rat
Flower/Toxic Rat
Eat Me
Drink Me
Jeweled Liontail
Nonjeweled Liontail

It is also worth noting that as the site grows, the rarity of pets will continue to change. With the retirement of the list, no new changes will be made. Keeping this in mind, if pets currently on this “list” go up to omg so rare from very rare in the future, they will not be bolded/highlighted. If still using this list for reference in trades, users are suggested to take caution when trading pets that elevate to omg so rare going forward at the places they are currently listed. In the event that a pet on the “list” currently is elevated to omg so rare from very rare, it is possible that is out of place and should not be traded for its current placement.

There are also some other pets whose placements were possibly going to be moved up or down. These pets, which are not specially marked on the List, are:

UR Bengal
UR Grapes
Hyena Advent
Timberwolf Advent
Bumble Bee spider
White, Grey, and Red Malk Dragons
Joker Dog
Red Rose Dog
Light Leopard

Lastly, there are also pets that are not shown on the List that were likely or definitely going to be added somewhere on the List. These pets, which are also not specially marked on the List, are:

UR Fox
UR Peas
Cream Easter 2009 bunny
2011 St. Patrick's Day Green Tess Dragon
Tan Light-Headed Rat
Nick sunback
Nick blue toxic
2009 St Patrick's Day Dog
Dark faced and light faced growing Octobers

If using this list for trading, it is advised to not trade the above pets at their current placements (or lack thereof).

Please see this post for more information.

Last edited by Thovatos on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:24 am, edited 24 times in total.
Thovatos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Main post

Postby Animall » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:25 am

Hello, and welcome to the Rares List Guide!

The pets are listed from most to least valuable. Top to Bottom.

The bottom tier of the Advent List holds the pets worth the least on the list while the top tier of the Main List holds the pets that are worth the most! The higher you go, the more the pets are worth. The lower you go, the less the pets are worth.

The higher you go, the higher the tier number! The lowest tier of any list is "tier 1". The highest tier of the Advent List is "tier 10".

Keep in mind that all pets on the List are worth more than pets that are not on any list!

The list combines rarity, supply, demand, availability and circulation!

Without these five primary factors (and even more!) the list wouldn't be nearly as 'complete' as it is now!

This list is user-created and unofficial. A number of knowledgeable CS folk try to keep it as up-to-date and accurate as possible, but it is by no means the absolute authority on pet value.

The list is based on opinions and not just straight facts. The placements of all pets have been determined by many people saying their opinions and then coming to a general understanding. Discussion takes place all the time. Feel free to join in, but do keep in mind that if you don't know rarities, your opinion doesn't help with placement and can delay the process!

Are you having trouble with tiers? You can find a list of the gaps between pets Just below the lists..

New URs will never be placed any sooner then August/September of the year following their release. Please do not ask about a new UR right after its release!

Random rares will never be put on the list! The list is exclusively for the rarest pets on CS. Random rares will never become rare enough to be added to this list!

For any questions on worth, fairness or gaps: Please read the gaps list or
    visit the 'How much is this pet worth?' or 'Is this a fair trade?' threads!
    Those questions do not belong here and will be deleted. Find them here.

Please always use the search function first, even if you are on mobile!
    This thread has been around for years. Many questions can easily be answered with the search function. Search Function Guide. Ctrl+F also works great!

Don't know a pet's name? Look it up in one of the many guides CS has! Click here.

"I want to propose a move/a pet that needs to be added!"
Awesome!

First, Please check the current discussions list just above this post!

It's not on that list?
Feel free to bring it up! Please try to provide information and reasons as to why it should be added to the list!

A great way to help out is by posting your trades onto this thread HERE
We are always looking for UR and omgsorare pet trades, as well as all list store pet trades and most of the times i'll request trades for a certain pet. Any trade you feel might be useful to post, just post it there! It helps greatly when looking at movements of pets C:

ImageImageImage

Index:
Poll post - Discussions List - Main information post - Recent Updates - Main's List - September's List - Advent's List - FAQ - Gap's list - Important Links - Pictured Main's List 1 - Pictured Main's List 2 - Pictured September's List - Pictured Advent's List
Last edited by DaDwarf on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Animall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Updates

Postby Thovatos » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:35 am

Recent Updates
    Please note that updates will be removed from this list as time goes by!

12/23/2018- UR Rat moved to coontail tier
    12/4/2018- 2011 store pets added to tier 2 of advent list, 2012 store pets added to tier 1 of advent list.
    10/5/2018- UR Malk moved to non tier
    9/26/2018- Zonkey added
    8/16/2018- Skelebun moved to dogtag tier
    5/18/2018- UR Peach added
    [28-11-2016] UR Foal was added.
    [1-08-2016] Arabian and Basilisk 2011 store pets added.
    [1-03-2016] First post updated/improved.
    [8-11-2015] UR Malk & Marionette Dog were moved up.
    [8-10-2015] UR Bengal & UR Pineapple have been added.
    [20-07-2015] Punk dogs, Seal PPS's, Clockwork bun, Patchwork&Raven dog were moved up.
    [15-07-2015] Brown sleipnir was moved up.
    [15-04-2015] Drink me, Eat me, all lion-tails & all androids were moved up.
    [04-12-2014] Ur's were moved up, New ur's added + orange cerb and skele bunny moved up the list.

Last edited by DaDwarf on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Thovatos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Main's List

Postby Takk » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:38 am

The "Main" Rares List

Index:

Please note!!! Any OMG So Rare Pet that is below 'the big gap' was at some point supposed to be moved up on the list! i've made them red to find them easier. These pets should not be traded for their list value!

Sunjewel = UR Tiger Dog
Moonswirl
UR B-Wolf
Plains Zebra = Grevy's Zebra
Mountain Zebra = Dogtag = Skelebun
UR Cat
UR Banana = UR Cucumber
July PPS = Coontail Dog =Sunback = UR Bee = UR Zonkey = UR Rat
UR Aussie/Cookie dog = UR Phoenix = Ur CinnaBun = UR foal
UR Lion
Nonjewel Sundog = Non-Coon Dog = Non-Swirl Moon Dog = Non-Tag = UR Malk
UR Peach
UR Flower Pot = UR Holly Dog
Growing White July = UR Pineapple
Nick Unicorn = UR Mint Horse
--- Big Gap ---&
Spotted Tribal = BE Galaxy
Purple Toxic
CE Galaxy
Blue Toxic
Blue Sorbet = Green Sorbet = Yellow Sorbet = Pink Sorbet = UR Grapes
Joker
UR Butterbun* = Gearback Tribal
Red Toxic = 09 UR Dog
Green Toxic = Yellow Toxic
Nonballoon = UR Bengal Cat
Line Tribal = Joker Bunny = UR Ice Cat
Rainbow Mane
Pink Balloon = Blue Balloon = Winged Wood Angel = Orange Cerberus
Light Speckled Rat = Medium Speckled Rat = Heavy Speckled Rat
UR Purple Horse = UR Apple = Dark Heart Rat
Skeleton PPS
Rose PPS = Dark Pink Shima B-Wolf = Blue Dragon PPS
Red-X PPS = Wolf PPS

*UR Butterbun is not actually UR, just named for the UR Butterfly Wolf it was designed after.
&
What does the big gap mean?
It's the point from which the gaps between pets start to get bigger. For example, the gap between the non tier and the coontail tier is a full non, the coontail is worth 2 nons. Fun fact; the big gap was misplaced from the start so the pets around the big gap have actually the smallest gaps between them! gaps don't start getting bigger until after the non tier, for more info see the gaps list.

Index:
Last edited by Takk on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
Takk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

September's list

Postby kee; » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:51 am

The September List

Index:

Please note!!! Any OMG So Rare Pet that is below 'the big gap' was going to be moved up on the list! i've made them red to find them easier. These pets should not be traded for their list value!

Tier 13 (Highest) wrote:Dark Leopard = Black Advent

Tier 11 wrote:Blue Rose = Red-X = Angel Advent

Tier 10 wrote:Purple Batdog = Drink Me

Tier 9 wrote:Lime Ice Rat

Tier 4 wrote:Scarf PPS

Tier 3 wrote:Target Dog

Index:
Last edited by kee; on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:21 am, edited 9 times in total.
kee;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Advents List

Postby nickjr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:32 am

The Advent List
if a pet is in the same group as another, that means it is worth THE SAME!

Index:

Tier 10 (highest) wrote:Sockdog, Green-fronted Holly dog

Index:
Last edited by DaDwarf on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Thanks & FAQ

Postby nickjr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:04 am

Index:

Thank you to...
Keatchi, Deja, Jeweled, Chryseis, DiabolicReality, Solloby, Atwood, Starstreak, Australia09, Seasonal, Hekomi, DaDwarf, Pideaux
And Many, Many Others

FAQ
Anything marked with NEW! was added in 2019. The previous update to the FAQ was in 2012 or earlier. The questions added in 2019 are FAQs that popped up during 2011 - 2019.

So is this purely about rarity or is there demand mixed in?
    This list is a combination of rarity and demand - which kinda converge in a way that creates a pet's "worth." Even though a pet like the BMD is just as rare as any other of those Advent outcomes, you couldn't expect anyone to trade it for like, a Cream Advent. Rarity is how many pets are out there, and demand affects their availability.

NEW!
    If this list already includes demand, why are people asking for more "because of demand"?
      (The following answer was wrangled with permission)
    This list was created to give people an overview of how the mix of rarity and popularity could influence a pet's value.

For example, comparing the CE Galaxy and the Spotted Tribal, which used to be valued roughly the same a long, long time ago: The CE Galaxy is not particularly rare for its release time. It was available for both July and August 2008, and the litter was well-liked and thus adopted a lot. The Spotted Tribal from August 2008, on the other hand, is the rarest of its litter.
    But because one of them is really well liked and the other was just average, they were often valued around the same as a "Your Tribal is rarer, but people like my CEG a lot more" kind of deal.

But over time this has become a lot more difficult for people to decipher, especially with pets whose demand has caused them to be placed wildly differently from similarly rare pets.
    To name two examples, we have the Black Advent and the Light Pawprint rat.
    The BA is technically as rare as the rest of its litter, but someone who is inexperienced, someone who uses the list because they're not very knowledgeable about values, might not realize that.
    Because pets on the Rares List do not have easy-to-find written explanations for their placements, inexperienced users may not know which pets are placed above their littermates because they're truly rarer, and which ones are placed above littermates because they're just really popular.
    Someone who doesn't have background knowledge on the pets might think the BA was notably rarer than other Advents, because there's no clear indication that the BA is as rare as its littermates and is only placed higher because of demand.
    And while the Light Pawprint rat was VR, a casual player wouldn't have been able to tell that it was much rarer than all of the September pets that it was sandwiched between and was just put there because it wasn't well-liked.

Over time, the reasons behind pet placements have faded into obscurity.

Wait! You guys and the rarity on the actual pet disagree... I'm so confused! Oh, and why can't I get an uncommon Jan 09 for an uncommon January 2010?
      OLD ANSWER:
    All new players need to do is look at the rarity and then look at the date. There is a 3 month "rule" so to speak. If the pet you want is an uncommon from January 09, and you're offering an uncommon from March 09, then people will likely trade. You have to take dates into account. So, if you have an uncommon from March 2010, and you want an uncommon from January 09, then people won't trade with you. . . as there is a year between the adoption dates. The older a pet is, the harder to obtain it becomes and the more you have to pay for it. But keep in mind that people have their own rarity system that you can't see. . . to be safe in your trades, try your best to offer someone something off their wishlist. If you can't offer something on their wishlist and you want a "Very Rare" pet then they will most likely get angry at you. So stick to what they want, or try to get the more common pets on your wishlist, before you go after the really rare pets . . .

NEW! Updated information:
    The existing answer to this question in the FAQ was written many years ago, probably in 2010 or 2011. Since then, CS has gotten two major rarity calculation updates, one in 2012 and one in 2019. Thanks to these updates, pets' displayed rarity tags are much more accurate than they have ever been; for example, inactive accounts and pets on those accounts are not factored into rarity tags, which means that the tags do not reflect users or pets that are probably not participating in the trade market :)

While dates and years shouldn't be totally disregarded (for reasons such as the "forever home" reason: the longer a pet has been around, the more likely it has ended up with someone who wants to keep it), dates and years no longer matter as much as they used to, because two pets with the same rarity tag are now reasonably close in rarity. So a 2010 uncommon for a 2019 uncommon is a stretch, but there shouldn't be issues with trading a 2018 uncommon for a 2019 uncommon.

Ugh, everybody just can't decide who is rarer! How about we go ask Nick for some statistics?
    I PMed nick this message.

Hi Nick.

We where wondering if you or tess would mind helping us with this list, Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=112366 as no one can deside on what rarest in order. So would you or tess have that kind of data that you would share

Regards
    Nick wrote:Yes, we have that information but no, we have no plans to share it. Sorry.. :)

ok that my reply from nick so there goes that idea

NEW! Updated question:
    What's the difference between demand and rarity? Aren't they the same thing? What about value?
      NEW! Updated information:
    Rarity is how many of a pet there is on CS, demand is how much people want the pet, and value is how much the pet trades around for. Rarity and demand are factors of value. A pet with high rarity is hard to find, so it has a higher value. But a pet that a lot of people want will have a lot of people competing to get it, so it also has a higher value.

Two pets with the same value may not have the same rarity and demand. A pet that is not popular but still super hard to find can have the same value as a pet that isn't so hard to find but is very popular.

Another term for this is "supply and demand"; you might learn about this outside of CS, but it applies here, too!

OLD ANSWER:
    As an example, there may be more Sunbacks on CS than Dogtags, but there are also a lot more Sundog hoarders because they're such a popular design, so there may be fewer Sunbacks actually available than there are Dogtags. To assess functional rarity you have to look at how many are in circulation, which you can only find out from other traders.

I offered a Green Toxic for a Yellow Toxic, which are equal to each other on this list, and they cancelled the trade!
    Though we try to perfect this list, there is always going to be a few errors- Use this as a helper, not a must use handbook. ;)

While people's individual pet preferences don't affect pets' actual rarities, they do absolutely affect what will happen when you are trading with said individual. Also keep in mind that just because two pets are a fair swap for one another doesn't mean your trade partner is required to accept.

Now I offered a Red Toxic and a Sorbet for a Yellow Toxic, which this list says is more than enough, and they cancelled the trade because they didn't like either of the dogs I offered! How is that fair??
    The thing about pets is, it's all about what people are WILLING to trade them for. There are like 3 groups on CS. The people who KNOW their rarities and who will pay a sunjewel for a zebra. Then there are people who just trade what they think is a good trade, as in they will trade a rainbow mane for a guinea pig because they prefer the guinea pig to the horse. And then there are the people who are only interested in adopting and care nothing for rarity or value. And those people are often the new players who get ninja'd and scammed. Store items are a bit of a hassle as well, because people who pay REAL money for the items don't want to trade them away for just a common pet from the past few months. . . . It's all about supply, demand and what people are willing to actually pay for . . . it's hardly ever about rarity and value. . . . to be honest it's more about looks xD

NEW! Additional information:
    Keep in mind that people are not required to accept trades, no matter how much you think the trade would be good for them! There are many reasons a person may cancel a trade that you think they should have accepted.

The list of pets by demand doesn't look right! A lot more people want the Gray Dragon than the Sun dog!
      NEW! Additional information:
    Note that this list isn't purely based on demand! Please see the first two questions in this FAQ.

OLD ANSWER:
    This Is The Technically Correct Version by how many users have them on their wishlist, while ours is just one mixed with rarity and demand. Supply and demand, catch my drift?

NEW!
    Since store pets aren't rereleased, won't they become the rarest eventually?
    One day, they will, and we can see this process happening already in that some of the oldest store pets have turned OMGSR. However, the process is very gradual. Keep in mind that some popular store pets in recent years (as of typing this in 2019) have been purchased so much that they started off Rare, not Very Rare! The older store pets have risen a lot in rarity because it has been so many years since they were first purchased (along with other factors, such as some of the older store pets costing more C$ and the inability to trade C$ until after a few years). Recent store pets probably won't reach the same rarity for a long, long time unless we have a highly unpopular set that people do not want to buy.

NEW!
    - I did the math and the Sunjewel is worth about 10,000 '09 rares! Is this for real?
    - Why doesn't the Gaps List match up with the C$ values of all the pets?
    - I found the Rarity Changes Archive and there are a lot of pets that have the same demand as some of these pets but aren't here!

These are all valid criticisms of the guide in its current form. Due to how the guide was constructed and how users decided the values of these pets, many users eventually felt that the Rares List is inaccurate and unrealistic.

Note: These were answered by various users. Their names have been removed for privacy reasons.

Last edited by nickjr on Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Gaps list

Postby Animall » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:10 am

If Using This Gaps List for Trading, Please Read This Information First:

The Gaps List was created in 2013 due to popular demand. It was created originally to show how much each tier was worth and what the gaps were at the time, as it was difficult for many users to determine how different combinations of pets were valued against each other in trades. At first, this was a positive addition as it helped many users to gain a better understanding of the List.

However, this idea also had another problem, one that was foreseen by some of the users who helped to create the Gaps List despite their lingering hesitation. Due to listing pets with pretty precise values, the Gaps List created a orderly structure many users followed to the bone, visible even after the List was retired. It also made pet trading very unrealistic: Due to the rigidity of the Gaps List as well as the actual gaps that it listed (which increased exponentially), the pets on the Rares List ended up having astronomical and unrealistic values.

Another side effect of these unrealistic gaps is that as users went up the Rares List, pet values in terms of pets increased far more rapidly than in terms of C$, according to the C$ values accepted by the community for Rares List pets.

Many CS users who voted to retire the Rares List during the great vote in February 2019 stated in hundreds of posts from pages 450-600 that this was one of many concerns that made the list unable to be reconstructed.

Key:
Non-dog = non swirl/tag/coon/jewel
Sorbet = any color
CEG = Clear Eyed Galaxy
BEG = Black Eyed Galaxy

Main List

High Julies

Mid Julies

Low Julies

Lowest Julies
GAP

High Augusts

Mid Augusts

Low Augusts

September List

High Septembers
    Tier 13 (Highest) Dark Leopard - Grey Dragon & Mini Husky
    Tier 12 Grey Dragon - Blue Rose & Seal PPS
    Tier 10 Blue Rose - Purple Batdog & Candy Cane Horse or 7 mid advents
    Tier 10 Purple Batdog - Cake Dog & Candy Cane Horse
    Tier 9 Lime Ice Rat Cake Dog + a little more. (this gap is extremely small.)

Mid Septembers

Low Septembers
    Tier 4 Scarf PPS - Target Dog & Mini Husky
    Tier 3 Target Dog - Light Leopard & Early '09 Rare Dog
    Tier 2 Light Leopard - Red Dragon & Early '09 Rare Dog
    Tier 1 (Lowest) Red Dragon - 2 Mid Advents or Low&High Advent

Advents List

High Advents
    Tier 10 (Highest) Sockdog - 10 Mixed 09 Rares
    Tier 9 Hyena - 8-9 Mixed 09 Rares
    Tier 8 Teal Butterbun - 7-8 Mixed 09 Rares + an 09 Uncommon

Mid Advents

Low Advents

Short cuts!
Sunjewel = 5 nons
Any Non dog = 3 sorbets
Any Sorbet = 2 green toxics
Green/Yellow toxic = 2 balloon dogs
Pink/Blue balloon dog = 21 mid-advents or 3 blue roses
Blue rose = 7 mid-advents
Mid-advent (tier 7/8) = 7 09 mixed rares

Hekomi wrote:DaDwarf and Trouble did most of the work with the September list! I barely tweaked their values, so this should be credited and thanked to THEM not to me. I will be adding, editing, etc. if necessary.

Last edited by Animall on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Animall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me