The Spanish Club ~ All levels welcome!

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

Re: The Spanish Club ~ All levels welcome!

Postby Kiyomice » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Jinchuuriki wrote:
Kiyomice wrote:I saw a Spanish store today and read the sign "Bienvenidos" and was trying to read the rest, I got so distracted I almost ran into the car in front of me :P

*grabs paper fan*
You... you...
*hits head*
Either stop and read or forget and continue! xD
My brother damaged the back door of a car because he was running looking back and hit it with his knee and mouth. It could have been expensive, but we were lucky the owner wanted to trash it xD

Unfortunately, I was driving a car myself XD
I was at a stoplight and slowing down and glanced to the right and started reading, but I didn't realize the car in front of me had already come to a full stop and I was cause off guard lol
Kiyomice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Princess Nishea » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Kiyomice wrote:I saw a Spanish store today and read the sign "Bienvenidos" and was trying to read the rest, I got so distracted I almost ran into the car in front of me :P

You're similar to me, LOL.
I've never almost ran into anything, but ever since I've started learning Spanish I'll randomly see Spanish writing while I'm out then think "OMG I can understand this now!" and then try to read it again if I didn't understand everything at first glance. :lol:
Last edited by Princess Nishea on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Nishea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Princess Nishea » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 pm

Jinchuuriki wrote:Yup I would recomend wordreference.com, since it helps me a lot xD
By second meanings I mean that we can say for example "Te voy a dar una torta". Well, in spanish, from spain, a "torta" is some kind of cookie, just a bit different, but I think it classifies as cookie. So my phrase means "Im going to give you a cookie".
But at the same time, it has a second meaning. It also means "Im going to slap you" since we also call a slap a "torta". So you can guess one is good, the other not as good.
Plus, if you move from spain to latin america, you will find that a "torta" is a cake, althought Im not sure if its also a slap there xD

The problem here is if you use google translate, and webs like those. They dont really take the sentence into account to find the best meaning for each word, so it ends not being spanish, and not being english either. The best way to do it, and the best way to learn, is to translate word by word with a dictionary instead od using google. The one I said before, wordreference, you can put the word you want there, and it will tell you several words with that meaning, depending on what you want to say.

From that same example you used, in english you said "can you give me an apple?". With that much info, I can guess there are more than one, or else you would have said, "can you pass me the apple?".
Starting from there, "an apple" as in one apple, would be "una manzana" (un + female).
So you wouldnt be using "the" here. It would end as "puedes darme una manzana?" (dar + first person, darme. Second person would be darte, third persob would be darle... its weird xD)

So, using "The". Can you pass me the apple? Can you give me the apple?
Así que, usando "La". Puedes pasarme la manzana? Puedes darme la manzana?

If you arent lost yet in all the text I wrote, in those last two sentences you can see that it makes a bit of sense, is almost the same xD

Thanks for the info and also for taking the time to type so much. :lol:

Princess Nishea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spotted.Newt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Jinchuuriki wrote:
Spotted.Newt wrote:¡Hola! Soy Spotted, a veces visito este grupo. Voy a visitar un país hispanohablante en el futuro acercaba, y quiero hablar español con más frecuencia antes de yo lo visito. ¿Hay una persona que habla el español (la lengua primera) que quiere hablar con me un poco cada día?

That would be me, I suppose. I have been spaniard since I was born, almost 25 years ago, so I suppose I am your man xD
Now, your errors :P

"en el futuro acercaba" is wrong, you mean in the near future, right? That would be "en el futuro cercano.
"antes de yo lo visito" you mean before I visit it, or before I go, so you should say "antes de visitarlo" (visitar + lo = visit = it) or "antes de que (yo, you can omit it) lo visite".
And finally, "con me" you mean with me, that in spanish is "conmigo".

My english is not that great, but I hope everyone reading this thread can understand what I try to explain xD

Ah, thank you for the corrections. Funny thing is, I actually wrote all of those things correctly and then second-guessed myself and re-wrote them, except "conmigo." Does this simply mean "with me" or is it specific to certain circumstances?

Concerning the omission of the "yo" how often can it be omitted? I used to omit those pronouns whenever the verb was conjugated (the preceding "yo" seemed redundant to me), but I spoke with a lady recently who teaches Spanish and she kept correcting me and said I should always keep the preceding pronoun. So, I am understandably confused.

Jinchuuriki wrote:
мємєqυєєи wrote:Hola! Cómo estás? Yo soy bien! (Lol my Spanish is really cruddy) me gusta sandía‘s! Te gusta sandías? XD

((*Heavy sweating*))
El mes es dicembre..
me estoy quedando sin ideas..

Nope, your name isnt "bien" (I hope) xD
Lets see, if you mean it for one person, or to be personal, then "como estás" is correct. But if you mean it for more than one person, you need the plural, that would be "como estáis". And the "yo soy bien" as I corrected in another post, you need the verb "estar". That would be "Yo estoy bien".

For memequeen, I'd like to add that that you can also say "como están" which would be the "ustedes" form of the verb. Both the "vosotros" and "ustedes" forms mean you (plural, with the latter being more formal) but to my knowledge vosotros is only used in Spain. I visited Costa Rica a few years ago and asked the family I was visiting about vosotros, and they frowned at me and said there was no such word or conjugation xD
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Love like I'm not scared,
Give when it's not fair,
Live life for another,
Take time for a brother,
Fight for the weak ones,
Speak out for freedom,
Find faith in the battle,
Stand tall but above it all,
Fix my eyes on You.
~For King & Country

I am also known as Griffin.Song.
Spotted.Newt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Princess Nishea wrote:

You're similar to me, LOL.
I've never almost ran into anything, but ever since I've started learning Spanish I'll randomly see Spanish writing while I'm out then think "OMG I can understand this now!" and then try to read it again if I didn't understand everything at first glance. :lol:

Kinda like some magical language then, you are walking down the street when suddenly... "Oh what does that say? Lets see... Avada... kedavra... *bzzzz!* Whoops! Sorry! Maybe I said it wrong? Avada kedavra? Avadakedavra? ava dakedavra...? *bzzzz!* *bzzzzz!* *bzzzz!*"

And thats how a single person took out half a city of innocents xD

Kiyomice wrote:
Jinchuuriki wrote:

*grabs paper fan*
You... you...
*hits head*
Either stop and read or forget and continue! xD
My brother damaged the back door of a car because he was running looking back and hit it with his knee and mouth. It could have been expensive, but we were lucky the owner wanted to trash it xD

Unfortunately, I was driving a car myself XD
I was at a stoplight and slowing down and glanced to the right and started reading, but I didn't realize the car in front of me had already come to a full stop and I was cause off guard lol

*grabs 20 kg iron fan*
You said driving!? xD
At least I know you dont drive around where I live, so I know I will live to see my kids go to work xD

Princess Nishea wrote:Thanks for the info and also for taking the time to type so much. :lol:

No problem, as long as you understood what I meant xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Spotted.Newt wrote:
Jinchuuriki wrote:
Spotted.Newt wrote:¡Hola! Soy Spotted, a veces visito este grupo. Voy a visitar un país hispanohablante en el futuro acercaba, y quiero hablar español con más frecuencia antes de yo lo visito. ¿Hay una persona que habla el español (la lengua primera) que quiere hablar con me un poco cada día?

That would be me, I suppose. I have been spaniard since I was born, almost 25 years ago, so I suppose I am your man xD
Now, your errors :P

"en el futuro acercaba" is wrong, you mean in the near future, right? That would be "en el futuro cercano.
"antes de yo lo visito" you mean before I visit it, or before I go, so you should say "antes de visitarlo" (visitar + lo = visit = it) or "antes de que (yo, you can omit it) lo visite".
And finally, "con me" you mean with me, that in spanish is "conmigo".

My english is not that great, but I hope everyone reading this thread can understand what I try to explain xD

Ah, thank you for the corrections. Funny thing is, I actually wrote all of those things correctly and then second-guessed myself and re-wrote them, except "conmigo." Does this simply mean "with me" or is it specific to certain circumstances?

Concerning the omission of the "yo" how often can it be omitted? I used to omit those pronouns whenever the verb was conjugated (the preceding "yo" seemed redundant to me), but I spoke with a lady recently who teaches Spanish and she kept correcting me and said I should always keep the preceding pronoun. So, I am understandably confused.

Jinchuuriki wrote:
мємєqυєєи wrote:Hola! Cómo estás? Yo soy bien! (Lol my Spanish is really cruddy) me gusta sandía‘s! Te gusta sandías? XD

((*Heavy sweating*))
El mes es dicembre..
me estoy quedando sin ideas..

Nope, your name isnt "bien" (I hope) xD
Lets see, if you mean it for one person, or to be personal, then "como estás" is correct. But if you mean it for more than one person, you need the plural, that would be "como estáis". And the "yo soy bien" as I corrected in another post, you need the verb "estar". That would be "Yo estoy bien".

For memequeen, I'd like to add that that you can also say "como están" which would be the "ustedes" form of the verb. Both the "vosotros" and "ustedes" forms mean you (plural, with the latter being more formal) but to my knowledge vosotros is only used in Spain. I visited Costa Rica a few years ago and asked the family I was visiting about vosotros, and they frowned at me and said there was no such word or conjugation xD

That happens to me in exams a lot, makes me so mad! xD
"Conmigo", "Contigo", "Consigo", those three means only with me, with you and with him/her/it respectively. Only "Consigo" has another meaning, since the first person of the verb "conseguir" (to get, to achieve) in present is also "consigo" xD

About omitting, I omit the "yo" a lot, and "tu" much less, but I omit it from time to time. Now "el, ella, ellos ellas" I almost never omit it, sounds weird to me xD
So if you omit them always, it is normal you get corrected.

I would say it is safe to omit "yo" from time to time, when its obvious you are speaking about you, and "tu" sometimes also. But I can say that maybe for a person who is learning, it is not so good to omit them so often.

The problem with Costa Rica and well, all countries that speak spanish outside spain, is that each country has their own language, they dont use spanish, they have a "cousin of spanish" with some diffrent words, kinda like english usa vs english uk works. Example, in spain, a car is called "coche". In mexico, I think it was "carro". In spain you can say "está guay" or "es genial" as "its cool" while in argentina you would say "esta chevere"
So some words of course change. In the case of "ustedes" it happens that they use it instead of "vosotros".

But for the most part, 80% or more is the same language, so you should be able to make sense of what people say here in spain, or in colombia, or mexico, or wherever, if you learn spanish. Of course, I might nor know what "carro" means, but once I see it means "coche" I will be fine.

You just have to pay attention to some... "dangerous" verbs. For example, "coger" in spanish is to pick up, or to grab. In latin america, "coger" means... well... couples do it from time to time, especially if they want a child. So to grab a chair, you probably shouldnt say "coger una silla" there, would sound weird xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kiyomice » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 am

@Jinchuuriki
Jajaja, I never did claim to be a good driver... :P
I haven't run over any humans yet, so that's...bueno^^
Can't say the same for golf carts though...
Kiyomice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 am

Kiyomice wrote:@Jinchuuriki

I can almost see it... Im walking down the street when I suddenly see a car going a bit faster than I should. Then I look at the driver and I see you:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

I am never seen again xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kiyomice » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:39 am

Jinchuuriki wrote:

I can almost see it... Im walking down the street when I suddenly see a car going a bit faster than I should. Then I look at the driver and I see you:

I am never seen again xD

Oye oye oye, I don't speed!
Kiyomice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Jinchuuriki » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:58 am

Kiyomice wrote:
Jinchuuriki wrote:

I am never seen again xD

Oye oye oye, I don't speed!

No, not you, but the car... xD
Jinchuuriki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me