Fennec Foxes - update for the 2009/2010 Shima Fennecs

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: Fennec Foxes - update for the 2009/2010 Shima Fennecs

Postby Autumn Rain » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:57 am

Those who are being rude are the ones I'm referring to, not those who are simply voicing concern or disappointment.

I understand what you're saying about constructive criticism, but there are social rules surrounding constructive criticism, and if you don't follow them you're simply being rude -- sounds harsh, but it's true.

Rule one: Constructive criticism is asked for. If you don't ask for it, you don't want it. And if you don't want it, people telling you how you need to improve is just upsetting.

Rule two: You offer specific and detailed ways to improve said piece; you don't just complain about what you dislike.

Rule three: It is possible to be rude even when trying not to be. I can "nicely" say that your painting of a sunset meadow looks like Satan's nose hair, it doesn't mean it is nice. :]
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zacharie1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:01 am

Autumn Rain wrote:Those who are being rude are the ones I'm referring to, not those who are simply voicing concern or disappointment.

I understand what you're saying about constructive criticism, but there are social rules surrounding constructive criticism, and if you don't follow them you're simply being rude -- sounds harsh, but it's true.

Rule one: Constructive criticism is asked for. If you don't ask for it, you don't want it. And if you don't want it, people telling you how you need to improve is just upsetting.

Rule two: You offer specific and detailed ways to improve said piece; you don't just complain about what you dislike.

Rule three: It is possible to be rude even when trying not to be. I can "nicely" say that your painting of a sunset meadow looks like Satan's nose hair, it doesn't mean it is nice. :]

I wish they would have changed the foxes to Satan's nose hair. At least that would have been entertaining vuv

Zacharie1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~sekii♥rei~ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:11 am

Autumn Rain wrote:Those who are being rude are the ones I'm referring to, not those who are simply voicing concern or disappointment.

This is a public adopts website - people are going to criticize, no matter what. If you don't want your art to be criticized, judged, or spoken negatively about, then do not join a website such as Chickensmoothie. Most people know what they are getting into when they join as an artist on a site like this. Technically, they are asking for criticism just by joining. Yes, it may not be stated or shown, but that is how VP sites work.

MANY of the comments I've read were stating things they should have/could have done. Again to my point on some people just aren't good with words, maybe they can't put it in a nice, constructive way. This IS a site aimed mainly at children and early teens( I am not saying that if you're not this you don't belong here, also not saying that children and pre-teens can't give productive feedback or know how to properly word things). Many of them(not all) have not had experience enough to know how, or to even know what not to say or what is/isn't rude. Esp in this society. Sigh. Again, not saying that everybody is this way.
hi im a dog artist

art-for-pets shop!Trade Thread ♥️
~sekii♥rei~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumn Rain » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:20 am

Likewise, when stating your opinion on the internet, you should expect criticism as well. The fastest way to garner criticism is to criticize someone else, ironically.

The thing is, you're right. Some people don't know what's rude and what isn't. That's why I'm telling them ;P I wouldn't waste my time if I thought they were being intentionally cruel.
Autumn Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gothic knight » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:21 am

Synge-Zinc wrote:

This is a public adopts website - people are going to criticize, no matter what. If you don't want your art to be criticized, judged, or spoken negatively about, then do not join a website such as Chickensmoothie. Most people know what they are getting into when they join as an artist on a site like this. Technically, they are asking for criticism just by joining. Yes, it may not be stated or shown, but that is how VP sites work.

MANY of the comments I've read were stating things they should have/could have done. Again to my point on some people just aren't good with words, maybe they can't put it in a nice, constructive way. This IS a site aimed mainly at children and early teens( I am not saying that if you're not this you don't belong here, also not saying that children and pre-teens can't give productive feedback or know how to properly word things). Many of them(not all) have not had experience enough to know how, or to even know what not to say or what is/isn't rude. Esp in this society. Sigh. Again, not saying that everybody is this way.

you're right, people are going to criticize. that doesn't mean they should be rude about it, especially considering the fact the staff put so much time into the equimagine project. they could have easily just gotten rid of the old foxes altogether. it's like people don't even care the staff put forward the effort to bring new life into the fox linearts. if people don't like it, that's fine, just don't be grossly rude about it? and besides, i never saw people loving all over the old fox lineart before now. its like a child - you're going to give away toys they don't like or use, and suddenly its their favorite toy. just downright annoying to be quite honest.
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
┌───────────────────────┐

call me fhey
i don't know what to put here
currently very obsessed with fnaf and ff14 raiding
x
ultimate legend btw

trades | fflogs | husband | ©
x

└───────────────────────┘
┌─┐

└─┘
gothic knight

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~sekii♥rei~ » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:26 am

khal wrote:
Synge-Zinc wrote:

you're right, people are going to criticize. that doesn't mean they should be rude about it, especially considering the fact the staff put so much time into the equimagine project. they could have easily just gotten rid of the old foxes altogether. it's like people don't even care the staff put forward the effort to bring new life into the fox linearts. if people don't like it, that's fine, just don't be grossly rude about it? and besides, i never saw people loving all over the old fox lineart before now. its like a child - you're going to give away toys they don't like or use, and suddenly its their favorite toy. just downright annoying to be quite honest.

Read the last paragraph of my post again.

And nobody really talked about it because it was never exactly a high demand pet, but there were the users who wanted them. It was never the priority though. Many people do love them dearly but never talked about it because there was never a proper time or place to, and frankly I think many newer users didn't really know because of this. Now that there is a place to talk about it, especially right after a huge change, of course people are going to.
hi im a dog artist

art-for-pets shop!Trade Thread ♥️
~sekii♥rei~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aliria » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:13 am

What a lot of people don't seem to be understanding is that there are two types of hating going on.

Some people are posting mean stuff because they don't like the new lineart. THIS is the problem. There is no point in insulting a lineart. Everyone has linearts they don't like, the artist aren't going to change a lineart because people are rude about it.

What I agree with is the other thing people are saying. I believe these new linearts are perfectly fine. Maybe they aren't as fluffy as the old linearts, but so what? The problem for me is the new foxes. I feel that these nice special foxes have been made less special, not by the changed lineart, but by creating more.

People are confusing the types of disliking the new linearts that's going on, and then saying that people with honest concerns are hating on the lineart.
I'll send out my soul
To worlds more beautiful

Aliria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pthumerian » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:50 am

While I like pets with crazy lineart edits and add-ons, I prefer all members of each species to have all the same base because I think it looks more clean this way. I definitely like these new fennecs more than the old ones. Never cared much about the old ones, to be honest. I pretty much ignored them all the time, while now they have my attention and I will add them to my fennec group once I don't feel so lazy anymore.

But I aggree with some people here, they could have had at least a slightly longer tail (not as enormous as the halloween fennecs, just a bit longer on the tip).
pthumerian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sety » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:22 am

I'm just going to pop in to say that the rude opinions people are talking about are the "ewewew change it back it looks horrible now!!!1!!"s and the "this is so ugly!!!" comments, which have already been removed by staff for breaking thread rules and for being rude overall. This is why "all you see" are constructive criticism.

There is really no need to argue about this. 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.'

On topic, I personally love the new fennecs. They seem to fit into the rest of CS's pets now, not to mention they are more realistic. Don't get me wrong, the old fox lines were adorable, and I will miss them.
Sety

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me