New ability to block PMs from people who aren't friends

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: New ability to block PMs from people who aren't friends

Postby Laure » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:06 pm

I dislike this option in many ways, I understand some people just want to chat with their friends, but when people roleplay and they activate this ability, lets say; I have to notify them about something, about our characters which I would like to discuss with them, but I can´t since I am not on their friendlist, plus I can not just write it in the RP since, I would like to keep it as a suprise.
It´s also taking the freedom away from people, who would like to make new friends. But since half of Chickensmoothie is using this option, everybody is like in a little box. If they don´t know them, they won´t know them.
And by art, how could you get your ex. Signatures, if you enable this option.
I know this is my opinion, but I am not fond from this idea at all, It helps against spam, but what brings us this option?

xxxx
xxxx
[ entp-a
[ she/her
[ proud literature and martial arts enthusiast
[ bachelors degree in green tea consumption
Laure

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby raey » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:23 pm

Awesome *thumbs up*

@ Laurietta: a way to surround it would just be that you add everyone from the roleplays and so does the others. Maybe the friends list will be a bit long that way - but I can understand if people chose this option to prevent spam.
      You are right that it brings up a kind of isolation - but there are many users here who are happy with what they have. Sure for new members it might be a bit difficult, but the forums offer enough possibilities to make new friends and chat without using pm's.
raey

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vixen Luo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:29 am

I've been waiting for someone to say something, too.
Honestly, I /really/ dislike this idea. I /love/ asking people how they got their signatures if there are not credit links provided, talking to them about topics that they are interested in, etc.
And, I really don't think I would like adding many people that I do not know well to my friends' list. I understand that many people spam, but....is it really a big enough deal that everyone needs to start blocking PMs in general save for, what, the 4 people on their friends list?
This is an incredibly unfriendly thing to do. I'm....I have to admit, I'm shocked that staff would create something like this. What next? Will we have the option to block all people except for friends to post on forum topics? :/ I may sound rude, but....it's not nearly as rude as..../this/.
    please stop asking me to give you my viscets. thank you!
Vixen Luo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby geno » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks, Nick! CS needs this feature. Thanks again!
Geno - been a while
geno

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chunkypeanutbutter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:13 am

Thanks, Nick! Been waiting for this feature to be added for a long time :)
chunkypeanutbutter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Radiation King » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:31 pm

i really love this option, it's great for blocking those odd spam PMs.
i've got a little suggestion though, i've noticed when you have it set for "only friends" and "only staff" you can't send any PMs to yourself; perhaps that ability could be added? i occasionally send PMs to myself with coding/links/etc and it'd get a bit tedious to have to change my settings every time i want to do that ^^"

🆆🅷🅰🆃 🅷🅰🆅🅴
....🆆🅴 🅷🅴🆁🅴

call me rads. i haven't been
really active for a while but
i still grab the new pets.

just a grumpy old man tbh

🎵
Radiation King

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Winter Soldier » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 pm

@ Yuri Lowell Have you ever pmed someone and had them get mildly irritated for you asking about their signitures i've had people do that and honestly I find people who ask about my signiture or anything but my roleplaying to mildy irritating. to be honest people like to send irritating if not spamming pms about things that I don't want to hear such as this one random user who actually sent me pm saying JESUS LOVES YOU in all caps I am not of that faith and i do not want to read pms where people attempt to impose their religion on me via spam pm. honestly it's more annoying to have someone ask me about a signiture then it is too ask me about one of my rps i would rather have people pm me with relevant things not irrelevant things.

SO thats why this feature comes in handy.
The Winter Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dizzy-noodles » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Laurietta wrote:
I dislike this option in many ways, I understand some people just want to chat with their friends, but when people roleplay and they activate this ability, lets say; I have to notify them about something, about our characters which I would like to discuss with them, but I can´t since I am not on their friendlist, plus I can not just write it in the RP since, I would like to keep it as a suprise.
It´s also taking the freedom away from people, who would like to make new friends. But since half of Chickensmoothie is using this option, everybody is like in a little box. If they don´t know them, they won´t know them.
And by art, how could you get your ex. Signatures, if you enable this option.
I know this is my opinion, but I am not fond from this idea at all, It helps against spam, but what brings us this option?

I agree about signatures. I hadn't thought of how it would affect roleplaying, I don't roleplay myself, but lots of people do, it's a good point.

Yuri Lowell wrote:
I've been waiting for someone to say something, too.
Honestly, I /really/ dislike this idea. I /love/ asking people how they got their signatures if there are not credit links provided, talking to them about topics that they are interested in, etc.
And, I really don't think I would like adding many people that I do not know well to my friends' list. I understand that many people spam, but....is it really a big enough deal that everyone needs to start blocking PMs in general save for, what, the 4 people on their friends list?
This is an incredibly unfriendly thing to do. I'm....I have to admit, I'm shocked that staff would create something like this. What next? Will we have the option to block all people except for friends to post on forum topics? :/ I may sound rude, but....it's not nearly as rude as..../this/.

I actually said something similar at the bottom of page 2 :)
Dizzy-noodles wrote:This seems like quite an unfriendly thing to do in my opinion, a couple of times I've pmed someone to ask about something in their signature etc., and people have pmed me to ask me questions or just to chat. I think it's nice to talk to people and make friends.

I agree, it is rude to block people from talking to you, for no reason, and this website has enough problems with bullying as it is. We should be trying to make Chicken Smoothie a more friendly place, not less friendly!
This is my pony Rainbow, he was made for me by ~TGenie- :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SGTC til the very death of me!
ImageImageImageImage
Dizzy-noodles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Vixen Luo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Precisely! And, as a matter of fact, I have not; they were all quite flattered to have someone like their signature so much that they'd go so far as to ask, and I've never had anyone get annoyed by my PMing them for such topics. To each his own, I suppose.
Also, if you were being 'harassed' by this religious person, block that /one/ and prevent them from continuing. Just because a handful of people spam or irritate others doesn't mean that the entire lot of us have to end up isolated from those who don't want friendly PMs that they call 'spam'. :S Forgive my rudeness, but...it's quite an issue for me. It.../irks/ me that even staff would decide to be so unfriendly.
Vixen Luo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Winter Soldier » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:20 pm

This feature could be useful for parents who don't want their kids pming with anyone they don't know online o.o say if your kids have friend in real life who play the game and family members play this game anyone who isn't their friend can't pm them that way the parents can farthur control what their kid is doing online and the kid can only pm their friends people they know in real life as an adult I can say this will be for the parents of those kids to have as feature on their child's account.
Last edited by The Winter Soldier on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Winter Soldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me