Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Oekaki Weekly Challenge Board: Your thoughts (tick all that apply)

I don't use or visit the oekaki boards at all
7%
I use or browse the oekaki sometimes, but I never go to the weekly challenge board
12%
I sometimes browse or draw in the weekly challenge board
13%
I try to use the weekly challenge board every week
2%
I like the weekly challenge board the way it is and don't think it should change
4%
I think we need longer than 1 week to submit entries for the weekly challenge
8%
It would be good if some of the old weekly challenges were used again so that we could do the ones we missed
14%
It would be good if we could submit weekly challenge ideas
21%
It would be good if the weekly challenge is announced at the top of the forum each week to remind us to check it
20%

Total votes : 2912

Re: Oekaki Weekly Challenge - thoughts please?

Postby Inactive. » Fri May 09, 2014 2:05 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3) Yes, I have :3
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: Unfortunatly no
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: I think its fine
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: a year after perhaps
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season) I Think its great!
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: Well... I would really love to! But due to issues involving work, I have not been able to get my tablet repaired, and I seek to do so soon, so I may join in the fun!
Pet's name: open to offers!.
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
The Weeping Angel you called ugly? She can't look at herself in the mirror. See that unemotional Cybermen? He used to be one of us. The Oods you make fun of? They get treated as slaves everyday. That lady you called crazy? She knows all of time and space. See the weird man with the bowtie and the fez? He's the loneliest man in the universe. Put this in your signature if you're against bullying in the Space-Time Continuum.
Inactive.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nanashi » Fri May 09, 2014 2:07 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3) Yes I have~

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: I have and I think about a couple of times, 1 for sure.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: Maybe 2 Weeks? It is too short but only a little more time is needed after all people had tests and such so yeah.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:
Definatly!

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season) I find them plenty of fun and it's very enjoyable!

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:
Well I can say why I don't use it alot. I almost never see a new challenge it would help there was a notice on the home page :) Other than that Finals but I will have more time to draw soon :D
ImageImageImage
is Earth's
greatest

----I am literal Meme Trash---
~ Kita ~ Female~ Gamer ~

text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
text text text
Source art you use!
----Don't Steal my Format!----

Image Image Image

text

text

text

text

text

Tumblr

Credit

ImageImageImage
Nanashi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bud » Sat May 10, 2014 3:07 am

Design an IPhone case artwork. CS could make the phone case and the winner of the design contest gets to have their artwork on the phone case c: It has to include something about CS c:

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: Yes c: But my art stinks.
2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?: No, I have never.
3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?: I think 1 week is enough, but then again I never have used it.
4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?: Yes c:
5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season) I like them c:
6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it: Because my computer won't let me ^~^
not my art obviously you think i can draw?? i'm WRITING a book

bud // 18﹢// wiccan
writing a fantasy/romance novel
from my trashcan (homey!)
always down to talk about books

word count: 108,030
page count: 534
bud

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AlaskanAlpaca » Sat May 10, 2014 6:46 am

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)

Yes, I have drawn 140+ oekaki drawings, and I'm doing new ones all the time! :)

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:

Yes, I have, however it's been a little while. I have joined the challenge 7 times.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:

I think it's fine! It could be interesting to have a monthly challenge, but I always look forward every week to the new challenge, even if I don't end up doing it.

4. Do you think the old themes should be used again sometimes for people who missed them?:

Mmm, it could be done. I think most people wont remember previous themes, so it will probably be fine.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)

I think most of them were very good! I especially enjoyed the character inspired by my favorite season, I ended up making one for all four seasons and then making up a poem to go with it! :)
Deviant Art

I am officially leaving CS for good. I had only been staying for Plumerians, and now that they have been shut down I feel free to leave. Thanks for the good time guys! Come find me on DeviantART, the link is above.
AlaskanAlpaca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *JACKAL* » Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 am

Got another idea.

Is there a way of gathering the art from the challenges into their respective weeks. I was looking at the gallery and you can't really see where the weeks start and end.

Gather the art into their respective in a table;

WEEK 1 WEEK 2 WEEK 3
WEEK 4 WEEK 5 WEEK 6

etc (only prettier) Kinda like the main forum page is with it's boxes so;

WEEK 1
This week we did…

WEEK 2
This week we did… and so on.

█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌

▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█

Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image
*JACKAL*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby the 'them' of evil » Sat May 10, 2014 8:48 am

I really think you should have like a challenge to do something with the staff. As in turning them into animals of some sort (Other then their OC's if they have one)

--

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:

Heh, yeah. I do it a lot.

2. Have you ever posted art in the oekaki weekly challenge board before? If so, how many times have you joined the challenge?:

Ehm, yes. Twice, I think.

3. Do you think that the oekaki challenge time limit (1 week) is enough time? If you think it's too short, how long do you think each challenge should last?:

I think 7 days is enough. c:

Only the very first few challenges.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? :

I really like the themes. c:

6. If you're someone who uses the oekaki but doesn't use the weekly challenge board - tell us why you don't use it:

I do use oekaki but not much for the challenges.
I have a lot of drawings to do for my 'Ask Whiterose' so thats pretty much it.
(・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ ) (・∀・ )

(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
(・∀・ )
╔═══════════════════════╗
❝❝i want to be someone like you
i want to be someone that feels very "me"
if i want to, i can just go and do it
but then...
would that really be me?

The way I am...
❞❞
╚═══════════════════════╝
oh hi c:
im sun, so call me that kthxbye
pronouns are she/her and i feel heartbroken
i have an obsession with hetalia too.
and many other shows.
❝❝...someone
like me is better off dead
where someone like me being alive,
brings sadness to tens of thousands
of people!
and no one wants me:
i wish that's the kind of world it was!
❞❞
i love to chat
with people <3
i like;

hetalia, supernatural,
black butler,
❝❝if by just wiping me away,
hundreds of millions of people
rejoiced!
and no one held hatred
for anything,

then I reject such a happy thing!
❞❞
OTPs;
gerita, ameripan,
reigisa, ermin

etc
the 'them' of evil

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby qwertyuiop123 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:00 pm

The reason I don't use it is because:
1. I don't have much time to use the oekaki boards (and have never really completed a "good" piece)
2. One week is a bit too short for me
3. I don't always see the point in it other than finding inspiration

I feel like that there should be like a "winner" or something for the contests and an announcement somewhere on the forums for recognition. Prizes might be a good motivator for many users, but I'm not too sure what prizes would be appropriate.

༺༺༺༺༺༺༺༺༺༺ find me by the sea ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻
ImageImage
My WishlistWant to chat? PM me! :)Send a trade? :3

༺༺༺༺༺༺༺༺༺ or swimming in the ocean ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻
qwertyuiop123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby slurm » Sat May 10, 2014 3:17 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?:
Yes, oekaki is my favorite drawing program on my favorite website so I use it often.

I have never done the challenge because I am usually caught up in other stuff, or don't have time to do it within that week, though I find the challenges interesting and love looking at the "entries".

As you can see in my answer for number 2, I personally don't have enough time. I think a monthly challenge would be better for everyone, or twice a month (every two weeks). More time allows more advanced artists the needed time to make more realistic art, especially when they need to work on it between other things.

I think that would be a good idea, but exactly the same or repeated to often might get tiring for those who've started from the beginning. Maybe put a little twist on it each time? For example, if you were repeating draw your character in it's favorite season you could say draw your character in bad weather in it's least favorite season or draw your character stuck inside in it's favorite season.

5. What do you think about the themes we've used so far? (some examples were to draw your fursona as another species, or to design a character inspired by the current season)
I preferred the earlier themes, but obviously good ideas were used up fast and a week isn't much time to think of a new idea.
Designing a character or drawing yours as a different is a good challenge but simple tells you what to do instead of giving you a "theme". To me a theme could be considered more (gonna do twists off the examples), draw your character in a different species home (like a mouse burrow or a bird's nest) and people could be more creative in choosing the species, background, adding other wild animals in the background, drawing their character's reaction, and can change the theme of the home to like realistic, fantasy, etc, maybe they would get really creative and think of The Three Little Pig's and draw them huddling with the pigs in one of the houses as the wolf's breath shakes the walls.

I'll make a list
1. Not enough time to use it and check it
2. Too busy with other things
3. Can't rely on my tablet or Java working (not that you guys can change it x3)
4. When I have time I can be picky about the challenges, even when they interest me I have started on them a few times and given up because I didn't feel like it met the theme or my persona quality expectation of my own art.
deviantart

Marco
Hailey, Winifred
Horizon, Tadpole

-

Look at my precious children look at them
Oh no she is blinded
slurm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snowing » Sat May 10, 2014 3:51 pm

1. Have you ever posted art in any of the oekaki boards before?: (if your answer is no, please skip question 2 and 3)
Yep.
No.
A week is plenty of time in my own two cents, but yet there are people that can have alot on their plate for a week's time, so for a person with not alot of work at the moment I would say it is. But my opinion could easily change on the subject.
Sure, it sounds like a pretty good idea that using old themes for the people who missed it and/or didn't quite enter yet. It would also give an opening to people who have already done the challenge to try and practice (If they're willing to participate a second time.)
They're nice I guess, I mean, I've seen a few and it really shows that you've caught the communities attention by using simple themes that'll spark up their artistic style a bit more than what they would usually do.
In all honesty, I just never wanted to do them, it's not my cup of tea.
snowing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby a sky full of stars » Sun May 11, 2014 1:26 am

Yes.
No, never. It doesn't appear to be overly appealing to me - though I do not post art on CS very often I'll admit.
I think dragging it out longer would be a bit exaggerated, so no; I think it's a good amount of time.
It depends, for the more specific topics - 'draw your fursona as an aardvark' for example - shouldn't be redone. Though I think fun challenges that can change over time are okay to be redone once in a while.
Some are cute, as I see some artists using them but I don't use the board and not many artists actually do the challenge.
I'll leave this for now as I don't use the board too often.
Not really hanging around here anymore~ You can find me on deviantart though
a sky full of stars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me