An "Advanced" board has been added to the oekaki!

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: An "Advanced" board has been added to the oekaki!

Postby | Aloy | » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:15 am

. : Cry : . wrote:This change has made me quite confused now...

Tess wrote:Art which is intentionally "messy" or fuzzy/rough/soft/sketchy in style may not meet some of these criteria but can still be considered intermediate when done well

My style can be a bit sketchy at times, and I like to use different opacity to 'paint' things. I think for color wise some of my stuff is at least worth intermediate, but the lines hold it back. :\

Not sure, should I post my art in Beginner's or Intermediate?

Ex:
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880704
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1882089
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1883063

Sketchy does not necessarily make your art beginners. For example, your MLP art is somewhat sketchy, but you have shading, highlighting, background, and a good understanding of MLP anatomy. Those can be put in Intermediate (I moved a couple there now). There are a couple in your gallery, however, that the anatomy is a little questionable on (I don't say it to be mean, look in my gallery and you'll see I suck at all types of anatomy), that would probably be better in beginners. Sketchy lines do not belong in the advance board, however, since then they are more of a sketch :3

I hope that makes sense ^^" You just happen to be on the thin borderline between the two.
| Aloy |

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . : cry : . » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 am

Orchid Sprig wrote:
. : Cry : . wrote:This change has made me quite confused now...

Tess wrote:Art which is intentionally "messy" or fuzzy/rough/soft/sketchy in style may not meet some of these criteria but can still be considered intermediate when done well

My style can be a bit sketchy at times, and I like to use different opacity to 'paint' things. I think for color wise some of my stuff is at least worth intermediate, but the lines hold it back. :\

Not sure, should I post my art in Beginner's or Intermediate?

Ex:
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880704
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1882089
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1883063

Sketchy does not necessarily make your art beginners. For example, your MLP art is somewhat sketchy, but you have shading, highlighting, background, and a good understanding of MLP anatomy. Those can be put in Intermediate (I moved a couple there now). There are a couple in your gallery, however, that the anatomy is a little questionable on (I don't say it to be mean, look in my gallery and you'll see I suck at all types of anatomy), that would probably be better in beginners. Sketchy lines don't belong in the advance board since then they are more of a sketch :3 I hope that makes sense ^^" You just happen to be on the thin borderline between the two.

asdffff a mod complimented my art ahhhhhh ;u;

Thanks Orchid Sprig <3
There are quite a few in my gallery that are beginners (very chibi/unfinished things like this)
And I understand the sketchy style not being on the advanced, since it takes quite a lot of talent to not make sketched lines
I for one just can't make thick lines or lineless like others can because I simply don't have the motivation to finish it.... (plus the thick lines usually don't look very good when I use them xD)

Anyway thanks a ton for moving my stuff ;u;
stuff wrote:my deersserts;;
call me cry or kraken
. : cry : .

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annekewren » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:09 pm

This is SO cool :D

There's a peeve I've always had about the beginners/intermediate categories that maybe I can bring up now.
What about cartooning? It takes as much skill -or arguably more skill- than drawing realistically. I've seen quite a few original, professional quality cartoons moved to beginners. What's up with that??
All pixels by me
I'm back!
Annekewren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . : cry : . » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:17 pm

Annekewren wrote:This is SO cool :D

There's a peeve I've always had about the beginners/intermediate categories that maybe I can bring up now.
What about cartooning? It takes as much skill -or arguably more skill- than drawing realistically. I've seen quite a few original, professional quality cartoons moved to beginners. What's up with that??

I've found this rather annoying as well; I have seen quite a few excellent cartoons that are superb, but all the realism goes to intermediate or advanced...
call me cry or kraken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Annekewren » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:36 pm

IKR? It's like you have to be into realism to be respected.
The worst part is when the "better" artist freehand-copies from a photo they found on google, and they get moved up.
Isn't there rule against that, or did I not read the rules well enough? XD
All pixels by me
I'm back!
Annekewren

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . : cry : . » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Annekewren wrote:IKR? It's like you have to be into realism to be respected.
The worst part is when the "better" artist freehand-copies from a photo they found on google, and they get moved up.

What's sad though is that I completely stink at realism, but I can copy others' cartoony styles pretty well ;A; Realism drive me nuts, and even more so because all of the stuff in advanced is realism....
call me cry or kraken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Atwood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:17 pm

. : Cry : . wrote:

What's sad though is that I completely stink at realism, but I can copy others' cartoony styles pretty well ;A; Realism drive me nuts, and even more so because all of the stuff in advanced is realism....

No, it isn't. Really, please at least look at the Advanced board before deciding that it's all realism - many of the pieces there are not realism. Some examples from the first Advanced page alone:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1890584
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1846126
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1940673
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1882576
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1739602
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1930582
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1930206
Atwood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cydonia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Atwood wrote:
. : Cry : . wrote:

No, it isn't. Really, please at least look at the Advanced board before deciding that it's all realism - many of the pieces there are not realism. Some examples from the first Advanced page alone:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1890584
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1846126
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1940673
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1882576
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1739602
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1930582
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1930206

Dang it you beat me lol
Other proofs:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1917670
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1795053
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=1902190
Cydonia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby . : cry : . » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Hmm, my bad... But I very rarely see ponies/sonic anthros/ other misc cartoony characters in the advanced board, although normal anthros and furries are present. Anywho, I'm glad to see that it exists, I guess it will be the place I'll try to reach for someday, eh? Although I'm content with just having my stuff in beginners. ^^
call me cry or kraken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bovidae » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:28 pm

. : Cry : . wrote:Hmm, my bad... But I very rarely see ponies/sonic anthros/ other misc cartoony characters in the advanced board, although normal anthros and furries are present. Anywho, I'm glad to see that it exists, I guess it will be the place I'll try to reach for someday, eh? Although I'm content with just having my stuff in beginners. ^^

To get a piece of Faust-style pony art into the advanced board it would have to be complete, with an extremely polished background and impeccable anatomy because the style itself is extremely simple; a piece with just a pony wouldn't do because of this.
When I say polished, I mean like really polished. Here's an example
Obviously it wouldn't have to be that photorealistic because dang this artist is a pony drawing god, but it would have to be a stellar piece nonetheless
Bovidae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me