Digitally Distinct: BBCoding Tutorial/Help Thread

Having trouble formatting your forum topic or signature? Buy or sell custom code here

Digitally Distinct: Copyright in Regards to CS

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Copyright in regards to coding on CS.
Because fights happen and this needs to be made clear.

Copyright protects the following:
• Drawings, logos, photographs and visual images are generally protected by copyright.
• Copyright does not protect ideas, styles or techniques.
• Ownership of copyright varies according to the circumstances in which the work was made.

Signatures
Resource located here x
    What you can call under copyright:
      - Images you used if you have permission to use them (Aka the official stuff from x fandom / images you own copyright to). If those images are not from an official source still belong to the artist whom created them and you must have permission from the artist to use them.

- Images you created for that signature, that includes gif overlays, image boarders and otherwise.
    What you cannot call under copyright:
      - A specific layout or coding style. If someone wants to make a signature that is 306 x 700 and has a similar layout to my signatures, I can’t tell them to quit that out because they have the right to have that layout if they so choose to. If anything, I will applaud them for their creation and help them along with figuring out little issues and design enhancing advice.

- The use of a specific pattern of code digits. If they want to use specific codes to make a boarder, they can. It’s there for that persons resource and it is really no secret where people can get these from.
    Please do not be the person who is copyrighting a layout. It’s like copyrighting lines for a colour in adoptable that you do not own. You own the colour style and the story and everything else you wish to add in referral to the adoptable, but you do not own the lineart. You don’t own code or layout of the signature, but you own the images that you used to create the signature.

If you have any problems in regards to signatures and the overall signature community, please PM me about it. I will answer you the best I can and hope to clear things up.

If you do report this to the mods, all they will do is close the report and ignore it. Please be aware of this.

Roleplay boards
Resource located here x

Tess wrote:We sometimes get reports complaining that someone has stolen their layout or "form". Unfortunately you cannot copyright your particular layout of bb code and font colors. We encourage everyone to design their own roleplay layouts, but there's nothing we can do if someone else's font color, alignment, size and placement of images looks suspiciously similar to the formatting of your own posts. It's quite possible that the same design may have been thought of independently and it's not worth getting upset about it.

We also sometimes get reports about character "theft" if someone else starts using the same reference image that you use, or the same character name. If you own exclusive rights to the image then you should report anyone else who uses it, but if it's just something random you found online then you don't own it and you can't stop anyone else from using it. If your character name is particularly unique then you can report the person who you believe stole it and give us any information to explain why you think they stole it. However, if your character is just named something like John or Taylor then there's nothing unique about that and anyone can use that name.

What this means:
    - Reporting layout copying is pointless since you can't copyright layouts and BB coding / font colours.
    - Using images you didn't make =/= theft if someone else uses the same image. If you didn't make it, you have no copyright in regards to it and everyone can use it.

Image permission / copyright
Resource located here x

Commissioned art
      - If you did not commission any art, you must get art permission from the artist who drew that art before you use it. (If it is not official or owned by you or stated to be free to use otherwise. This would include a lot of Tumblr Gifs for instance.)
      - However, if you did get commissioned art, you don't need permission for it's manipulation usage since technically you own the rights to it and it's usage. A credit link is fine.

Crediting
      - If you don't own a piece of art, credit is necessary. There is no exceptions to art theft.
      - There is an exception to the crediting however. If you need to give art credit to a user but they have a non CS appropriate image in close radius to the link you need to show for credit, you must send a help ticket and let the mods know that you cannot link the artist as there is inappropriate stuff on that page. They will then inform you that you can just use that artist's name instead. Why I say let the mods know is because then it will be on record that you did chase it up and therefore if someone reports you for incorrectly giving art credit, you have evidence to show that yes; you did inquire on giving art credit, but not being able to due to these circumstances.
Last edited by skyline on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
skyline

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Digitally Distinct: General Rules about Coding

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Just a collection on things you can and can't do on CS with coding.

Post based
  • Do not attach post images which have no meaning to the top and bottom of your post to make it look pretty.
      Tess: Given that these images add nothing useful to the message, they are just decorative spam. We already allow massive signatures on CS for you to express yourself in, we simply don't have room for you to put images into every post as well.
  • Is the usage of symbols classed as spam in regards to the above link? Answer is here
      Example:
      The new Butterfly wolves are so pretty! ♥

Seems okay to me since the heart is there to add emphasis that they like the pet.

Example:
      Oh man I missed the new dog outcome! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Same as above, the emote is added as emphasis, so it is okay in my eyes.

Example:
      °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
      I think the new horses are pretty!
      °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

The lines have nothing to do with the post or topic, thus it is spam in my eyes.

Signature based
  • CS No longer allows the use of "anti" messages in signatures or on the site as a whole.
      Tess: We allowed "anti" signature messages up until this point in the interest of being "fair" to everyone's beliefs. However, the fact is these "anti" messages in signatures bring nothing but negativity to the site, and are the cause of many arguments and problems. These messages often leave certain groups of people feeling attacked, discriminated against or bullied; when CS should be a safe place for people to come and be free of judgement/discrimination. We feel that there are more positive ways for people to express their beliefs, for example using a "pro-atheism" stamp instead of an "anti-religion" stamp.
Last edited by skyline on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyline

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Digitally Distinct: tba

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Last edited by skyline on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    skyline

My pets
    My items
    My wishlist
    My gallery
    My scenes
    My dressups
    Trade with me

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Last edited by skyline on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      skyline

My pets
      My items
      My wishlist
      My gallery
      My scenes
      My dressups
      Trade with me

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Last edited by skyline on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
        skyline

My pets
        My items
        My wishlist
        My gallery
        My scenes
        My dressups
        Trade with me

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Last edited by skyline on Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
          skyline

My pets
          My items
          My wishlist
          My gallery
          My scenes
          My dressups
          Trade with me

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm

skyline

My pets
            My items
            My wishlist
            My gallery
            My scenes
            My dressups
            Trade with me

Digitally Distinct: wip

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm

wip
            Last edited by skyline on Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
            skyline

My pets
            My items
            My wishlist
            My gallery
            My scenes
            My dressups
            Trade with me

Postby skyline » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:31 pm

skyline

My pets
              My items
              My wishlist
              My gallery
              My scenes
              My dressups
              Trade with me