Guide to owning and running a coding shop

Having trouble formatting your forum topic or signature? Buy or sell custom code here

Re: Guide to owning and running a coding shop

Postby spookypuff » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:35 pm

marks* Yay! I marked the post!
━𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐎━
-★ th - colony - song ★-
howdy! im spooky!!
i use she/they pronouns
i like project sekai and bandori
i also play genshin and valorant
kanade yoisaki kin
━━━━𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆
spookypuff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goostarion » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:06 pm

The difference between group / joint signature shops
A joint signature is when you run a signature with more than one user.

From observation I have seen two types of signature shop being opened of joint operation.
    The first one I am going to call Connected
    The connected signature shop works like this:
      - All the posts on the front page run in a similar code style.
      - All in the shop make signatures that look similar.
      - The price for all signatures made is the same, and therefore the product given out are the same.
      - The credit link is linking back to the thread rather than the person who made it.

The second type is what I call Segregated, which this type seems to work like this:
      - Each post made by that person is allowed to be customly designed by that person.
      - Prices are not the same, it is purely up to the individual artist
      - Signatures are allowed to be in different style, purely up to the artist.
      - The credit link is often to the post of the artist or the artist themself other than the thread.

These types have positives and negatives. I am going to type out the pros and cons from my own observation. If I miss some, please feel free to add more.

Pros and cons for Connected wrote:
    Pros include:
      - Artists are treated equally and there won't be demand for more artist. This means each artist will be given a turn to making a signature and so each person have a piece of the pie to make signatures.
      - Each artist is given the same amount of payment, which goes back to the artists treated equally situation.

Cons include:
      - As an artist, you will need to stick to the style of the thread, meaning you can't really experiment with signatures.
      - The flat rate pricing might not seem like a lot to you, but you will need to talk to all of the members of the thread about things before things are sorted.
      - If you are looking to break out and become popular, you are better off going into a Segregated signature shop. If you are making a signature, your name kind of blurs into the signature shop.

Pros and cons for Segregated wrote:
    Pros include:
      - For artistic freedom for each artist in the creation of the signature.
      - Besides the rules of the thread, anything is up for self customization.
      - Independence.

Cons include:
      - There will always be one artist who gets more business than someone else. This is something that cannot be helped, it just will happen.
      - You can end up being in competition with your fellow thread artists due to style, popularity, and cost to make each signature (Cheaper tends to mean more business) and this can cause drama down the line.
      - The workload is specifically towards one artist, so no other artist can pick up the slack. This leads to artists becoming overwhelmed and not finishing commissions.

Personally, if you do connected it is harder to operate I would imagine. You need to talk to all people in cahoots of the signature shop when decisions need to be made. On top of that, you can't really go off and do your own thing. It can be stressful in that area.

Segregated is more lenient in the above, but it puts more responsibility on yourself rather than anyone else in the thread. This also means the chance that someone could be buried and the work load be a ton more of stuff on it. It can cause so many problems from this angle as well.

Overall, running a signature shop in itself is hard to do, doing a joint one is harder.
I am on mobile.
Current mood: Casually being able to talk to the country's parliament is fascinating.
Don’t you want to see a highlight?
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Enuri » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:37 pm

this is really useful c:
well done!
-MARK-
--- T H E xF R E S H ---

────────────────
----- -----
────────────────

Enuri

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Angered Kitty » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:16 pm

marking
ᴍʏ ᴅɪgᴛɪᴀʟ ᴀʀᴛ sᴛᴜᴅɪᴏ
Quality Digital art shop,
with a very wiᴅᴇ range of capabilities!
(Canines, furries, OC’s,
humanoids, And Mythical creatures!
Angered Kitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby okeanós » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:44 pm

if I have a free templates "shop" but also add a special custom template service for a price, can it still be titled as "free forms" or is that too misleading? i don't think it's misleading because it would just say "free templates" in the title, not "entire shop free"

should i just put (free templates) in the title to be safe? i don't want my thread removed!
okeanós

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goostarion » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:01 pm

alley cat, wrote:if I have a free templates "shop" but also add a special custom template service for a price, can it still be titled as "free forms" or is that too misleading? i don't think it's misleading because it would just say "free templates" in the title, not "entire shop free"

should i just put (free templates) in the title to be safe? i don't want my thread removed!

What kind of free templates? Signature, Avatar, forum, trade rules etc?

You can say free since free templates are being offered, but definitely label which service is free and which service is not free. If you don't, then it can miss-lead users, which will cause problems and can fall onto you.

In addition, Digitally Distinct hosts free templates (Forums, Signatures, Avatars, miscellaneous) which is seen by more people than a users individual thread might be if you want to avoid the situation all together and stick purely to templates which make you pet payments.
I am on mobile.
Current mood: Casually being able to talk to the country's parliament is fascinating.
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby okeanós » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:46 pm

ZeyDaan wrote:
alley cat, wrote:if I have a free templates "shop" but also add a special custom template service for a price, can it still be titled as "free forms" or is that too misleading? i don't think it's misleading because it would just say "free templates" in the title, not "entire shop free"

You can say free since free templates are being offered, but definitely label which service is free and which service is not free. If you don't, then it can miss-lead users, which will cause problems and can fall onto you.

In addition, Digitally Distinct hosts free templates (Forums, Signatures, Avatars, miscellaneous) which is seen by more people than a users individual thread might be if you want to avoid the situation all together and stick purely to templates which make you pet payments.

Thank you! My shop is for character templates, I saw that thread (your thread i think?) and the templates but I didn't think that they had character templates yet, so that's how I got the idea for my shop. Does it still sound like a good idea? Thank you again!
okeanós

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Goostarion » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:57 pm

alley cat, wrote:
ZeyDaan wrote:

Thank you! My shop is for character templates, I saw that thread (your thread i think?) and the templates but I didn't think that they had character templates yet, so that's how I got the idea for my shop. Does it still sound like a good idea? Thank you again!

There is a section in DD which is for miscellaneous codings which has yetto include character templates. I have a few PM's with templates, but haven't filled it in yet. (Mainly due to IRL shenanigans)

It's a good idea to have! The only thing I would say is to make it abundantly clear as to which template is free to use and which one isn't, otherwise problems could arise.
I am on mobile.
Join your union
Goostarion

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby okeanós » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:12 am

ZeyDaan wrote:
    There is a section in DD which is for miscellaneous codings which has yetto include character templates. I have a few PM's with templates, but haven't filled it in yet. (Mainly due to IRL shenanigans)

It's a good idea to have! The only thing I would say is to make it abundantly clear as to which template is free to use and which one isn't, otherwise problems could arise.

Alright, thank you for being so helpful!
okeanós

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby venus. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:58 am

if I may ask...

what is the best way to deliver your finished coding to a client? should you give them a screenshot + the coding for it in ( [code][/code] ) ?
venus.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me